Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jun 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #526 of 3,098
I'm almost certain I'm expecting too much of the R2Pro/R2A but part of me does hope for something akin to the single driver wunderkind that is the EQ-8. I'm not sure why I even bothered ordering one with the Angie in the house. Eh well, I'm looking forward to that so called "unique" presentation I guess. Not quite sure what makes these different from other IEMs or why people can't seem to quite articulate what it is that makes them different, so we'll see. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #527 of 3,098
Just listened to gravedigger and broken cross by architects. Hope that's the right band. They both sounded very well done. Huge guitars. Deep bass. Thumping drums.

I also read the review. And can't say he's wrong with the included accessories. He didn't mention the zippered pouch included with the pro's. Not that really adds much value. But I really don't care that much about what all is included. I care how they sound.

I do disagree somewhat with his comment about detail. My er-4's seem to have more detail sometimes. But it's because IMO the upper mids are a bit boosted in them and that's where we hear "detail". The r2pro's are smoother and let you hear the entire spectrum better. But I actually hear much better detail in the rest of the range. Like electric guitars. I can hear nuances in guitar tones I've never noticed before.

And maybe it's me and my time with the ety's but I can't say the lows lack punch either. Now not every song has killer kicking bass. But some do. So that tells me it's in the recording and not the r2's.

Again just my opinion here, but these are only going to give you what the recording has. They are very honest. But somehow in the same way never sound "bad". You can just tell which albums were made by less experienced engineers (like myself) and which were made by people who really know what they're doing. Because when a song is done right it sounds fantastic.

That said I do come at this from a slightly different angle than most people. And I haven't had the chance to try multi-BA ciems. Maybe I am way off base. But somehow I don't think so.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #528 of 3,098
  As for R2PRO I do not believe they would ever sell them for the RRP. They won't sell a thing by pricing it at 400 pouinds. This is ridiculous level where one can buy good Customs or TOTL IEM from famous manufacturers. 200 pounds would be RRP in 5-6 months when everyone would stop caring they payed full price for the R2PRO. They will set 400 pounds price at the beginning to satisfy people but probably they wont sell more than 2 or 3 in 6 months. I believe the only discount was R2A which was 79 but again the discount was not so big and I believe these would retail at around 100-120 pounds. My Nostradamus prediction sense advise me this way.

That's the price of IE800 and Dita too (actually IE800 is more expensive). If R2Pro could at least compete with them, it'll find its place, if not then it'll be forgotten. Simple really.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #529 of 3,098
Honestly, I don't find the review to be well written. Sure I commend the effort made to be balanced, but I found it severely lacking on some accounts.

With regards to packaging and accessories, while I can't speak for the actual product, The packaging which he received the r2pros in are NOT, from my understanding from my interactions with flare, the final packaging. I feel that he should very well have known that as a reviewer instead of simply shooting off about the poor packaging. The packaging with his review unit is, if I am not mistaken, the packaging for the R2a's. On a side note though, I would have little complaints about that sort of packaging. While I appreciate heavily styled packages, I often find the waste of material to be astounding.

I shall not challenge his views on the subjective sound quality of the R2 pros. However, in my limited time with them, one thing which I note was the incredible amount of difference that different tips made. The reviewer was comparing the detail retrieval of the flares with complys with other iems using silicone tips. I think most of us who have had experiences with comply would know that that really isnt the fairest way to compare the detailing capabilities.

On a side note, I personally find the R2 pros to be worth its salt even at the retail price. Are they the best there is? Maybe for some,not for others. But they're definitely approaching any of the TOTLs, and trust me most CIEMs at that price point aren't quite on the same level. I have a dita answer which i love and find to be on the level of the top iems around. And i wouldnt really place the r2pros behind them.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #530 of 3,098
I agree in regard to most of the reviews posted thus far not being of much use. Interestingly enough I seem to recall Flare stating that it didn't matter whether you used silicon or comply, the SQ would remain the same. I thought that was rather curious/suspect, but since they were touting their so called pressure balanced tech, I didn't question it all that much.

So I'm curious, how would you describe the tonal balance of the R2Pro? Is it a neutral phone? I'm also curious how it stacks up to the DITA phones. We share those two phones, so I can at least understand the comparisons being made. Being micro driver phones, I'd imagine the Flares would be at somewhat of a disadvantage in some ways

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #531 of 3,098
I shall not challenge his views on the subjective sound quality of the R2 pros. However, in my limited time with them, one thing which I note was the incredible amount of difference that different tips made. The reviewer was comparing the detail retrieval of the flares with complys with other iems using silicone tips. I think most of us who have had experiences with comply would know that that really isnt the fairest way to compare the detailing capabilities.

What would you recommend instead of Complies to improve the detail retrieval? Are there any viable alternatives if the R2Pros are designed to work with Comply tips?

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #533 of 3,098
I agree in regard to most of the reviews posted thus far not being of much use. Interestingly enough I seem to recall Flare stating that it didn't matter whether you used silicon or comply, the SQ would remain the same. I thought that was rather curious/suspect, but since they were touting their so called pressure balanced tech, I didn't question it all that much.

So I'm curious, how would you describe the tonal balance of the R2Pro? Is it a neutral phone? I'm also curious how it stacks up to the DITA phones. We share those two phones, so I can at least understand the comparisons being made. Being micro driver phones, I'd imagine the Flares would be at somewhat of a disadvantage in some ways

I updated my previous post you could take a look. The R2 pros are possibly slightly better balanced tonally, slightly less bass with a fuller richer yet uncoloured midrange. The highs will have to be tamed with certain tips. Tip rolling definitely helps. Bear in mind though that I found the R2 pros to do very well in terms of resolution and having a big, impactful bass that goes deep and tight. Its a pretty reference-style bass yet it continues to have impact and body. Once you put them on, the thought of "micro dynamic drivers" wont even cross your mind.

What would you recommend instead of Complies to improve the detail retrieval? Are there any viable alternatives if the R2Pros are designed to work with Comply tips?

Most silicone tips actually. I would recommend something with small bores like the sonys though as the larger bore tips can cause quite some peakiness which a lot of people wont like.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #534 of 3,098
.........But they're definitely approaching any of the TOTLs, and trust me most CIEMs at that price point aren't quite on the same level. I have a dita answer which i love and find to be on the level of the top iems around. And i wouldnt really place the r2pros behind them.

Thank you for, that's definitely the most reassuring post I've read on this thread! If the R2Pro's are going to best my Dita's they're going to be worth RRP. Not sure, what version do you own? Have you posted a comparison on HF yet? If you did, please post a link to it as many of us would love to read that :)

What source did you use? X5?

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #537 of 3,098
Besting them, I'm not too sure if I would say that, but I know they're on a similar level to me. They might be more versatile though.

Based on your short description I think I'll like the R2Pro's signature. What I love about the Dita's is the soundstage, in fact it was the main reason why I didn't buy the Final Audio Heaven VII/VIII. Would you say the R2's have a similar soundstage, could you describe it? I wouldn't mind if the treble on the R2's would be somewhat similar to that of the Dita's. Some people find the treble of the Dita's to be 'peaky' and 'piercing', personally I think its treble is a main contribution to the excellent soundstage.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #538 of 3,098
Just listened to gravedigger and broken cross by architects. Hope that's the right band. They both sounded very well done. Huge guitars. Deep bass. Thumping drums.

That'd be them, good to hear it'll sound ok, the latest reviews had me worried. Thanks.

And cheers dnun8086 for giving LP a listen.

Looking forward to these, been stuck with some RE-262's for a few years, which I find too muddy. Though once V EQ'd, I do like the sound.

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #540 of 3,098
Thanks for the reply WCD. 
  I updated my previous post you could take a look. The R2 pros are possibly slightly better balanced tonally, slightly less bass with a fuller richer yet uncoloured midrange. The highs will have to be tamed with certain tips. Tip rolling definitely helps. Bear in mind though that I found the R2 pros to do very well in terms of resolution and having a big, impactful bass that goes deep and tight. Its a pretty reference-style bass yet it continues to have impact and body. Once you put them on, the thought of "micro dynamic drivers" wont even cross your mind.

Most silicone tips actually. I would recommend something with small bores like the sonys though as the larger bore tips can cause quite some peakiness which a lot of people wont like.

Thanks for the reply WCD. I'm looking forward to checkin em out. Less bass, fuller (uncolored) midrange is definitely good. Those were two things I struggled with in regard to the Dita - (slightly slow) boosted lows and recessed midrange. I'm curious about the treble too. I wasn't particularly bothered by the treble of the Dita, but after the UERM and Angie, I'd imagine I'd now find them lacking in that regard, (as well as others). Finally, is there anything at all about the R2Pro that strikes you as sounding "unusual?" A couple of listeners have mentioned it as sounding "unlike any other earphone" they'd heard, but could not articulate just what was unusual about it. The only earphone I've heard that I'd classify as "unusual" would be the FAD Piano Forte series. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back