Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Aug 28, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #2,071 of 3,098
Not happy. Paid Flare directly for the Pros a week ago today and didn't get a confirmation of my order or a tracking number, let alone the damn thing. I normally receive stuff from UK within 4 business days. Not impressed especially when got charged 30 pounds for postage.

What did they say when you asked about their whereabouts?

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #2,072 of 3,098
Haha, I did the same thing already :)

But I found the Flares were definitely tuned with the Tx version.
If there is no wax guard, the sound is more harsh (5-10%?). It sounds more open, with cleaner highs, so somebody can say it is 'better', but then it goes away from reference signature.
I also noticed, the big L Complys (which I never used before - thought they are so big / was using only M), they actually can be inserted to my ear canal as well, but they provide much better seal, than smaller versions, once the foam spread itself through ear canal = better bass response with tighter body.

The Tx200 version provided with flares fits well, but when changing tips, I damaged already couple of Complys. Now I'm using Tx500, which fits also 100% secure, but you don't need to put them on/off with such hassle.

Is that with your cut down modification of the tips? I'll have to try that myself.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #2,076 of 3,098
I usually use the tx-200 medium tips. The isolation and sound from a fresh pair is gorgeous but once they start to wear out they become just like normal foam. They lose some of that ridgitity and don't press outwards to the sides of the ear canal enough.

I'm currently testing some tsx-200 large to see if the additional foam creates extra outwards pressure once they start to lose their memory characteristics.
Will let you know.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #2,077 of 3,098
I got a pair of Snugs custom eartips. Will let you guys know how it turns out after I receive them.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #2,079 of 3,098
How did you get the sizing for the Flares?

I got my customs taken for my Ety's instead, as they said they'd need the Flares for 2 weeks to get the design - and I didn't want to hand them over for that long

Someone else had handed in theirs already :)

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,080 of 3,098
Someone else had handed in theirs already
smily_headphones1.gif

I look forward to you impressions :)

Wasn't sure if they'd be an improvement over the comply's. So please post your findings

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,081 of 3,098
So I switched from the coffee filter mod to the tea bag mod, except just one layer. This is just about perfect to my ears.
L3000.gif

I know I've compared the mids of the R2 to the Rockets and gave the edge to the Rockets, but I'm beginning to rethink that. The Rockets do have more immediate midrange "magic", but I actually think the R2 sounds a bit more realistic in the mids. So maybe a draw.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2,083 of 3,098
I look forward to you impressions :)

Wasn't sure if they'd be an improvement over the comply's. So please post your findings

Keep us posted was very tempted to get it done at CanJam. 

Tbh, I got them done at the last hour of CanJam strictly as an impulse after thinking on it at Wagamama with a couple friends. I'm hoping this turns out well.

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #2,084 of 3,098
I'd be very interested as well. We have a company here in Queensland who do custom sleeves - ACS I believe. The whole process only costs $AUS200 and that includes the audiologist making the molds. Now my R2As sound amazing at the moment but to improve on that with almost complete isolation that custom sleeves give you is very mouth watering.

Can anyone see any issues putting custom sleeves on the Flares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back