Flaming lips
Jun 2, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #31 of 38
The soft bulletin is simliar to yoshimi in many ways, perhaps even better. Definately check that out. As for single albums, to get into their older stuff, maybe transmisions from a satalite heart, or hit to death on the future head, clouds taste metalic is also a great album. I still perfer the newer stuff though, they've had a major style shift lately.

Jun 2, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #32 of 38
i was lead to yoshimi because of carlo and damn, have i been impressed. i wrote some attempt at a mini-review for a contest that carlo had, it's floating around here somewhere.

my current favorite track is "in the morning of the magicians" and damn can i not get enough of it.

the whole album is exceptional as a whole though, and i would suggest anybody who doesn't have a problem with electronic music to pick up a copy.

Jun 2, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #33 of 38
Just heard "Yoshimi" this weekend and loved it. Simply: it's full of gentle, beautiful songs with a nice trippy touch. Just the ticket sometimes! Another excellent album.

Oct 31, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #34 of 38
my copy arrives anyday now.

who says p2p killed the music industry?
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #35 of 38
I love the songs on Yoshimi--BUT, I don't know if it's just me, but the album is very fatiguing to listen to. The levels on the electronic instruments are jacked up to a pretty high level throughout the album. I really wish someone would remaster the album with more of an ear towards dymanics.

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #36 of 38
What can I say, it's been years and I still regularly listen to their albums. It is true that, generally, their sound can be quite fatiguing, yoshimi in particular. They sound great with warm headphones like the dt250, though.

Nov 1, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #37 of 38
There's a new group called the Earlies, that have a sound very reminiscent of the Lips, but don't sound like a cheap knock-off. The UK music mags are really digging them saying their album is "debut of the year" material My latest Uncut Magazine free CD came with their track, "One Of Us Is Dead", and it's a real winner. I don't have the album yet, but it's on my list. Worth checking out if you are looking for more in the same vein.

Nov 1, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
There's a new group called the Earlies, that have a sound very reminiscent of the Lips, but don't sound like a cheap knock-off. The UK music mags are really digging them saying their album is "debut of the year" material My latest Uncut Magazine free CD came with their track, "One Of Us Is Dead", and it's a real winner. I don't have the album yet, but it's on my list. Worth checking out if you are looking for more in the same vein.

Wow! Just heard 2 tracks that are available from their website. Their sound is quite impressive, and with my limited music knowledge I'd say that it is fairly original as well. Extremely textured. Vocals seem beta band-ish but nice. From the two songs I've heard they seem more reminiscent of beta band than of lips.

http://www.theearlies.com/morningwonder-hifi.html

http://www.theearlies.com/lows-hifi.html

Their album is definitely on the top of my list, thanks markl!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back