Flaming Lips: Soft Bulletin 5.1 DVD-A
Feb 1, 2006 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bleeding Spark

100+ Head-Fier
Today The Flaming Lips finally released the DVD-A/CD version of The Soft Bulletin. Anyone else pick up a copy today? A very nice package, similar to the "Yoshimi" reissue.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 10
Yay!

I have been avoiding picking up 'The Soft Bulletin' on CD for over a year now in anticipation of this release.

Let's hope that my neglect of nearly the entire line up of radiohead pays off equally well.

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 10
I just picked this up tonight. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Yoshimi is one of the best DVD-a's I've heard, so I have high expectations for this one as well.

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 10
When I try to access the video extras section of this disc in DVD-audio mode, my player locks up. Anyone else experience this problem?

The video extras work fine in DVD-video mode.

Feb 6, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobh
When I try to access the video extras section of this disc in DVD-audio mode, my player locks up. Anyone else experience this problem?

The video extras work fine in DVD-video mode.

Do you have a Pioneer player? There have been some compatibilty issues with Pioneer players. According to Dave Fridmann's (Flaming Lips' producer) website
http://www.netsync.net/users/fridmann/news2.html Pioneer will give you a free firmware upgrade.

Also the redbook CD that shipped with the Soft Bulletin DVD-A is not the new remaster. Warner brothers must've used the glass master for the original US CD.
Anyone who has already purchased the package can return the old disc to the Lips in exchange for the new remaster.

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 10
I do have a pioneer player. I've already had to deal with a firmware upgrade once for a problem with the Beck Geuro DVD-A. It was a major pain in the neck. Considering I have no problems with the main album and I can watch the videos in DVD-video mode, I don't think I'll bother with that.

I would like the remastered redbook disc though. I'll have to look into that.

Edit: I checked the flaming lips bulletin board and noticed that some people can't even get the player to play any DVD-audio. As far as I can tell, the album portion plays fine in DVD-audio, just the videos cause a lock up. Perhaps I have a firmware that fixes part of the incompatibility issue with this disc.

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Grah. Why does no-one appear to have this in Canada? I went to Zulu, Future Shop and two branches of HMV - nothing. Has it not been released here or something? That'd suck.
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 10
I am pretty sure Zulu doesn't carry DVD-A's aside from the anemic used DVD section. Great store though.

I ordered mine from Amazon.ca on the 1st and it hasn't shipped yet it has a delivery estimate of the 23rd-1st

Users who are viewing this thread

Back