Flaming Lips' DSOTM - My Review
Dec 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

userlander

Banned - aka walrus1 - aka vidranger1 - aka iggy-starnuts
A deconstruction of the hallowed floyd classic by the Flaming Lips, w/ Henry Rollins and Peaches adding vocal treatments.

speak to me / breathe - main driving bass rhythm is a little too Achtung Baby-era U2 sounding here. guitar sonics adhere closely to tonal expectations of the original. vocals are interesting, overall gives a promising sense that we might be in for a good record.

on the run - some nice interpretative moves interspersed with some slightly cheesy moments (the main melodic "wah wah" guitar figure is a bit amateurish sounding). The repetitive deconstructed breathing and coughing loop was inspired and creepy. the klaxxon horns at the end (and the spooky post-bomb silence preceding) gave a decently apocalyptic half-life feel, but the preceding part wasn't long or weighty enough to justify it and left the track seeming "small" instead of lending it the expanse it could have had.

time / breathe (reprise) - has a strangely incongruous "western" feel when the tremolo acoustic guitar (and spare tamborine hits) comes in with the main vocal. chorus vocal sounds strangely like perry farrell with a sore throat. you finally welcome the reprise when it finally comes around.

great gig in the sky - hilarious and ballsy. sounds like a pr0n soundtrack on nitrous oxide.

money - fairly straightforward, but overall a failure. the synth voices alone weren't enough to carry it, and it ended up sounding plodding and dull (well, consider the source material), a little like a basement tape experiment by bored high school kids.

us and them - another slightly plodding floyd song, captured here again pretty straightforwardly complete with atmospheric organ. Lacks the dynamics it could (and imo should) have had. It's disappointing not to hear the lips let loose on the chorus like you're half expecting they will.

any colour you like - the funkiest song on DSOTM done justice here rhythmically, but the cheap "sears" guitar sound alternating with the quasi-kraftwerk farting synth just screams amateur cheese.

brain damage - nothing really noteworthy here.

eclipse - anticlimactic and dull.

Henry Rollins - a worthy and inspired choice for co-conspirator. Steps up and contributes without detracting.

Overall this could have been a great record, but it finally comes across as having been conceptually too low-fi. The end result is a take that has an unfinished feel to it, like it was only half done and not fleshed out, instead of a completely realized interpretation. I expected more from Wayne and the Lips, but it was a brave move to take on this revered album at all, so kudos are deserved for the attempt. C+

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Thanks for posting the review.

Doesn't sound like this version of DSOTM is going to replace the original in anyone's heart
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting the review.

Doesn't sound like this version of DSOTM is going to replace the original in anyone's heart
wink.gif

Not likely to. I think it's worth a listen though, if for nothing else than the novelty.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 6
I like it, but it's quite flawed.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone could have released a new version of DSOTM that would supplant the original, rendering it obsolete. DSOTM is too good for that.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 6
I think it comes down to where on the continuum you are between Floyd and Lips fan.

Put me on way to the lips side.

The album is very much in the vein of both older lips and Embryonic. It's almost the album deconstructed or to use a hot hollywood term (re-imagined)

It's much noisier and discordant than the Floyd version and where the original flowed and ebbed, this one lurches and staggers.

It's interesting to play what if with something like this especially since the original is so loved. I think if the order of release was reversed. they would call the floyd version the valium edition.

I also think there is little reverence for the lyrics except as sound vs having actual meaning.

I like it, it's another original effort by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back