Flagship Headphone Amps
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NeoDiNardo

100+ Head-Fier
What are the flagship headphone amps that are still relevant today as a purchase new at MSRP or on sale at retail? Price points around $5K or under and then $10K or under? And also with a DAC built in and without a DAC built in. And then desktop vs semi portable vs portable.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 12
I was thinking of some DACs and Headphone Amps that I’ve seen, like the Pass Labs headphones amp and the Cord Qutest as a combo. Is there anything more new or hotter on the market now?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 12
The newest ones I would buy sight unseen since I've had all the previous versions are:
Topping DX9. We have two DX5s and the DX7Pro a few times in the past.

I just had the A70Pro last week and it's really good, the matching 8 core DAC makes an endgame setup for anyone. On balanced I never left low gain with anything.

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 12
T+A has this crazy 200 series Headphone amp. A bit too much for me really unless its perfect. And it’s not with no preamp out. A hopefully USB-C ladden Chord Hugo 3 should be around the corner any year now. There is the Lotoo Mjolnir, which again the price is sky high, yet I can’t help but desire it. It’s like a USB Hugo 3… go figure. But if you could only have one, or two lesser ones, that’s tough. The Sony flaship gold looking Walkman version 2 is great looking but reportedly has a slow OS and DAC input lag for live laptop video in a DAC only mode, A&K KANN Ultra, A&K SP-3000, and then there is Woo Audio. Still, I feel like I’m missing some contenders. What else do you have for me to consider, anyone? I won’t one good desktop solution and one or two portable solutions. The Lotoo Mjolnir is not gym friendly for example but is awesome in its semi portable but full fledged nature. I would still need an A&K I think. The Lotoo LPGT may be a bit too perfectly polite for me, I would only guess. As the Lotoo LPGT Ti was better, as is the Mjolnir. This leads me to believe the SP-3000 and the Sony flagship walkmans perhaps are better sounding in the end.l than the LPGT. And I had a LPGT but I sold it so I’m done with that for now. It was nice feeling but I was sure I wanted a newer DAP or I would wait for a used LPGT Ti to pop up used. Oh and all the nicer Schitt Audio out there like the Schitt Mjolnir 3. All these different Mjolniers lol. TO ME MJOLNIER!! I usually can put $6K on a credit card at a time so the rest would be cash really. And I still want more headphones too. I only have the Focal Stellia. I still want a flagship caliber Noble custom IEM, an open back planar magnetic, and the Focal Utopia Gen 3, perhaps Dan Clark’s new E3. Then house speakers and amps. It never ends. But I just got the TV paid off, the new for 2023 Sony A95L 77-inch QD OLED, which btw is beyond amazing to own. Absoultly worth the summer’s worth of OT hours at work required to acquire it. My PS5 is in heaven. I need more time to reseach but it’s hard. I don’t even have the time to edit this down which I know is too long!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 12
Look at the ampsandsound Red October for something a bit newer. I have the Bigger Ben Rev 2 and can just imagine how good the Red October must be.

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 12
T+A has this crazy 200 series Headphone amp. A bit too much for me really unless its perfect. And it’s not with no preamp out. A hopefully USB-C ladden Chord Hugo 3 should be around the corner any year now. There is the Lotoo Mjolnir, which again the price is sky high, yet I can’t help but desire it. It’s like a USB Hugo 3… go figure. But if you could only have one, or two lesser ones, that’s tough. The Sony flaship gold looking Walkman version 2 is great looking but reportedly has a slow OS and DAC input lag for live laptop video in a DAC only mode, A&K KANN Ultra, A&K SP-3000, and then there is Woo Audio. Still, I feel like I’m missing some contenders. What else do you have for me to consider, anyone? I won’t one good desktop solution and one or two portable solutions. The Lotoo Mjolnir is not gym friendly for example but is awesome in its semi portable but full fledged nature. I would still need an A&K I think. The Lotoo LPGT may be a bit too perfectly polite for me, I would only guess. As the Lotoo LPGT Ti was better, as is the Mjolnir. This leads me to believe the SP-3000 and the Sony flagship walkmans perhaps are better sounding in the end.l than the LPGT. And I had a LPGT but I sold it so I’m done with that for now. It was nice feeling but I was sure I wanted a newer DAP or I would wait for a used LPGT Ti to pop up used. Oh and all the nicer Schitt Audio out there like the Schitt Mjolnir 3. All these different Mjolniers lol. TO ME MJOLNIER!! I usually can put $6K on a credit card at a time so the rest would be cash really. And I still want more headphones too. I only have the Focal Stellia. I still want a flagship caliber Noble custom IEM, an open back planar magnetic, and the Focal Utopia Gen 3, perhaps Dan Clark’s new E3. Then house speakers and amps. It never ends. But I just got the TV paid off, the new for 2023 Sony A95L 77-inch QD OLED, which btw is beyond amazing to own. Absoultly worth the summer’s worth of OT hours at work required to acquire it. My PS5 is in heaven. I need more time to reseach but it’s hard. I don’t even have the time to edit this down which I know is too long!

I understand the excitement. A lot of exciting TOTL stuff in desktop and "semi" portable nowadays. What type of songs you usually listen to?

For DAP, actually Cayin N30LE (if you can find one) is truly a great sounding one. Smooth, rich, organic tones with big spacious soundstage.

Jan 2, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm wondering if there is a point upgrading a decent amp like the Niimbus US5 Pro or if that is not worth it. The Zähl HM1 caught my attention but I have no idea if it's really worth the 9k investment.

May 6, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 12
Well time has passed and things change. I sold my Stella. And my KEF LS50 Wireless II speakers. Starting over. I think DCA E3 headphones is up next for me and I want to buy the Mojo II and poly, and a pair of reasonable IEMs for the gym. Then I plan on B&W 805 D4 Signatures plus a sub for the TV room, amp will likely be Parasound JC 5, streaming box, preamp, desktop headphone amp, and dac I am currently not sure. Later on I want to get a flagship open back planar but I think the one I want or will end up with likely is not out yet. I like all kinds of music and female pop songs, rock and roll too. For now I’ll chill with the Mojo 2 or Hugo 2 I think. I can’t do the Lotoo Mjolnir As it’s too much $$$ must likely. I have interest in A&K flagship DAPs as I want to use the gym a lot this year.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 12
Wa33 elite with upgrade tubes wiring. It makes mid fi gear like TT and hd800S scale to imagery and musical heights of pure enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back