:flag_sg: CanJam Singapore 2016 (20 February - 21 February)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #226 of 732
Avoid Sim Lim Square, an electronics retail complex location at Bugis. (can check out where it is on the MRT map)

They notorious for jacking up prices and targeting at tourists.

I have nothing against them as i got my DIY computer parts there.

Only locals who knows their stuff and prices will not get 'chop' by the stores there

p.s i will be attending the event, a badge pls =)

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #227 of 732
Avoid Sim Lim Square, an electronics retail complex location at Bugis. (can check out where it is on my MRT map)

They notorious for jacking up prices and targeting at tourists.

I have nothing against them as i got my DIY computer parts there.

Only locals who knows their stuff and prices will not get 'chop' by the stores there

p.s i will be attending the event, a badge pls =)

No point is getting electronic goods in Singapore, it's much cheaper back in the States.

You may want to consider visiting any of our audio shops, just in case they are carrying something you can't find at Canjam (you never know!).

If any of you are watch fans, you can consider buying Seiko watches here, they should be cheaper here.

Lastly, just to add on to kchew's recommendations, I really like the various zoos that we have, such as River Safari and Bird Park, it's one of the few tourist attractions that I will go visit as a local.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #228 of 732
No point is getting electronic goods in Singapore, it's much cheaper back in the States.

You may want to consider visiting any of our audio shops, just in case they are carrying something you can't find at Canjam (you never know!).

If any of you are watch fans, you can consider buying Seiko watches here, they should be cheaper here.

Lastly, just to add on to kchew's recommendations, I really like the various zoos that we have, such as River Safari and Bird Park, it's one of the few tourist attractions that I will go visit as a local.

Thanks for the added recommendations! I'm sure audio shops will have some audio equipment that won't be exhibited at CanJam Singapore - I'll make sure to check those out as well. With regards to watches, how is the G-Shock selection over there and are their prices "reasonable" (like the Seiko watches)?

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #229 of 732
Thanks for the added recommendations! I'm sure audio shops will have some audio equipment that won't be exhibited at CanJam Singapore - I'll make sure to check those out as well. With regards to watches, how is the G-Shock selection over there and are their prices "reasonable" (like the Seiko watches)?

Thanks for the reminder! Yes, Singapore has a very good range of G Shock watches, and the prices are very reasonable, though I feel that the Seiko represents better values in Singapore because it's less common in the States than the G Shock. If you ever want to get Grand Seiko, now's a good time to start saving up!

Another thing that I will get done in Singapore vs elsewhere are glasses/spectacles. 

Lastly, some audio shops for you to check out: E1 Personal Audio, Music Sanctuary,Lendmeurears, Jaben, Stereo, AV One, and Soundwaves Studio.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #230 of 732

Thanks for the reminder! Yes, Singapore has a very good range of G Shock watches, and the prices are very reasonable, though I feel that the Seiko represents better values in Singapore because it's less common in the States than the G Shock. If you ever want to get Grand Seiko, now's a good time to start saving up!

Another thing that I will get done in Singapore vs elsewhere are glasses/spectacles. 

Lastly, some audio shops for you to check out: E1 Personal Audio, Music Sanctuary,Lendmeurears, Jaben, Stereo, AV One, and Soundwaves Studio.

I'll definitely be checking out their G-Shocks, and will probably purchase at least one that I otherwise wouldn't be able to obtain via eBay, Rakuten, etcetera.  I like the Seikos, but my heart belongs to the G-Shock line. 
normal_smile .gif

I've already met Singaporean dealers such as Wilson (Jaben), but would be nice to check out his shop as well as the others you have mentioned if I have the time.

Thanks again! 

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #231 of 732

Some ideas:

Shopping:
- Orchard Road; the national shopping belt. Branded boutiques galore.
- City Hall area; The Adelphi is a shopping mall full of audio retailers, just across the road is Funan for computers and electronics, just across the road again is Peninsula for camera equipment, both new and second hand.

Cultural/historic:
- City Hall area; some historic buildings since the British Colonial days are still around, the contrast between 19th century and modern architecture can be interesting. There are a number of museums in the area too like the Asian Civilisation Museum and the National Museum.
- Changi Museum; near the airport, where one can learn about how life during WWII Japanese occupation was like for civilians and the Allied POWs.
- Chinatown; pre-war buildings and lots of chinese shops and eateries.
- Tiong Bahru; one of the oldest estates, has become a mix of old and hipsterish culture.

Family entertainment:
- Sentosa; an island resort with many attractions. Universal Studios is located here. Can be a bit pricey though.
- Singapore Zoo and Night Safari; open concept zoo that's highly rated.
- Singapore Flyer; giant ferris wheel, great view of the waterfront.

Eating:
- Maxwell Road food center, lots of local staples here.
- Tiong Bahru, the food center there has some nice chinese food.
- Clarke Quay/Boat Quay; more for clubbing/drinking.
- Katong; famous Katong Laksa.
- East Cost Park; many seafood eateries there like Jumbo and Long Beach. Must try the chili crab.

Nature:
- Mount Faber; have a good view of Sentosa from the top, can take a cable car from here to Harbourfront, then to Sentosa and vice-versa.
- Sungei Buloh; marshland that's home to a wide variety of wildlife, especially birds.
- Pulau Ubin; a rustic island off Changi, accessible by ferry, great for cycling, seafood and wildlife spotting at Chek Jawa.

For shoppping, there is 1 special but often underrated place too. Mustafa shopping center close to Farrer Park station. It's a 4-5 storey shopping complex spanning 2 buildings. Being close to Little India, a moajrity of the things are targeted at the Indian crowd but you can practically find anything and everything there. Cosmetics, health items, food, toys, jewelry. They recently added a watch section and their collection of Seiko and G Shock is one of the largest I've seen in 1 place. And sudio too. Accidentally discovered a couple of days ago that they had an entire audio section in the basement, with elcheapo ones like Awei to mid-high end brands like Sony and Sennheiser.

E1 and Music Sanctuary are along Orchard Road, Stereo is at Plaza Singapura at Dhoby Ghaut station, Jaben, AVOne and LMUE are at Adelphi. Soundwaves at Bedok is abit out of the way from the city center. Oh and Null audio is here as well, at the Central at Clarke Quay station, a stone's throw from Adelphi. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #232 of 732

For shoppping, there is 1 special but often underrated place too. Mustafa shopping center close to Farrer Park station. It's a 4-5 storey shopping complex spanning 2 buildings. Being close to Little India, a moajrity of the things are targeted at the Indian crowd but you can practically find anything and everything there. Cosmetics, health items, food, toys, jewelry. They recently added a watch section and their collection of Seiko and G Shock is one of the largest I've seen in 1 place. And sudio too. Accidentally discovered a couple of days ago that they had an entire audio section in the basement, with elcheapo ones like Awei to mid-high end brands like Sony and Sennheiser.

E1 and Music Sanctuary are along Orchard Road, Stereo is at Plaza Singapura at Dhoby Ghaut station, Jaben, AVOne and LMUE are at Adelphi. Soundwaves at Bedok is abit out of the way from the city center. Oh and Null audio is here as well, at the Central at Clarke Quay station, a stone's throw from Adelphi. 

Good recommendations...one of the largest you've seen in one place?  Whew, gotta check that out!  The most I've seen in one place is probably at Macy's in Costa Mesa's South Coast Plaza (next to So Cal CanJam), as they usually house around 100-120 G-Shocks.  Thanks for the locations for the specific audio shops, as a result it will be easier to navigate each shop - shortest trip to each one would be the most preferable so I can visit as many as possible.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #233 of 732
For watches, The Bencoolen at Bencoolen Street has a lot of watch shops selling G-Shocks and 2nd hand/consignment luxury watches. Many of the G-Shocks there are grey market and are quite cheap. It's also nice to browse what the 2nd hand shops have; I picked up my Speedy Pro Transitional there.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #234 of 732

Good recommendations...one of the largest you've seen in one place?  Whew, gotta check that out!  The most I've seen in one place is probably at Macy's in Costa Mesa's South Coast Plaza (next to So Cal CanJam), as they usually house around 100-120 G-Shocks.  Thanks for the locations for the specific audio shops, as a result it will be easier to navigate each shop - shortest trip to each one would be the most preferable so I can visit as many as possible.

Well, this is how I will plan my audio window shopping trip: I'll start off at Music Sanctuary and listen to the crazy amount of CIEMs and aftermarket cables that they have.

Then I'll walk to E1 Personal Audio and chill/listen to their setups, especially their Stax collections.

Next I'll take a train ride 2 stops away to Stereo.

Then I'll take another train ride 1 stop away to Aldephi which houses Jaben, AV One and LMUE as well as numerous home theater stores, which cater more to Hi Fi and Summit Fi rather than Head Fi.

Then I'll take the train, double back to Null Audio.

That's the quickest and most efficient way I can think of to visit the major audio shops. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #235 of 732
For watches, The Bencoolen at Bencoolen Street has a lot of watch shops selling G-Shocks and 2nd hand/consignment luxury watches. Many of the G-Shocks there are grey market and are quite cheap. It's also nice to browse what the 2nd hand shops have; I picked up my Speedy Pro Transitional there.

I'll make sure to check out The Been-cool-in 
normal_smile .gif
, I'll also be attempting to make sure any G-Shocks I purchase won't be counterfeit (pretty easy to tell via various tell-tale factors).

Well, this is how I will plan my audio window shopping trip: I'll start off at Music Sanctuary and listen to the crazy amount of CIEMs and aftermarket cables that they have.

Then I'll walk to E1 Personal Audio and chill/listen to their setups, especially their Stax collections.

Next I'll take a train ride 2 stops away to Stereo.

Then I'll take another train ride 1 stop away to Aldephi which houses Jaben, AV One and LMUE as well as numerous home theater stores, which cater more to Hi Fi and Summit Fi rather than Head Fi.

Then I'll take the train, double back to Null Audio.

That's the quickest and most efficient way I can think of to visit the major audio shops. 

I may take this very route.  I need to meet all of you just to say thanks in person! 

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #236 of 732
I can PM you the details of the person who distributes G-Shock watches to the retail shops! :wink: I've known him for a long time and bought multiple items from him (for my friends, colleagues and love ones). His prices are very competitive, mostly marked down prices of even newly released models. He not only sells Casio, he caters to a few brands too.

As for the audio shops, I believe xuan87 already outlined majority of them! :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #237 of 732
I can PM you the details of the person who distributes G-Shock watches to the retail shops!
wink.gif
I've known him for a long time and bought multiple items from him (for my friends, colleagues and love ones). His prices are very competitive, mostly marked down prices of even newly released models. He not only sells Casio, he caters to a few brands too.

As for the audio shops, I believe xuan87 already outlined majority of them!
smily_headphones1.gif

It just keeps getting better and better!  I have said to myself that I won't be purchasing as many G-Shocks anymore (we will see), but if I can get a couple limited editions, that would be on point! (awesome)  

Yeah, you can send a PM my way - thanks in advance. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #239 of 732
Null audio is a pretty good place to go to.

Other than carrying AAW, they have Canal Works (Japan), Hidition (Korea) and Rooth Professional Audio (China) which is not at the show.

They are closed on Mondays though, FYI if you intend to visit.

Stereo has Unique Melody (China), which is not at the show (as of now).

They are open throughout the week.

Music Sanctuary has a lot more to see, but has limited opening hours.

You may want to visit their website and Facebook for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back