FlacSquisher feedback
Apr 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

UNHchabo

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

If I might give a shameless plug to an open-source project for a moment...

I wrote FlacSquisher to provide a simple solution for encoding my music to a lossy format after ripping to FLAC, so I could fit more than four albums' worth of music on my 2GB Sansa. It supports Ogg Vorbis and MP3.

There's a bug in LAME that's pending, so I can correctly transfer certain tags to MP3s, such as Album Artist and Disc Number.

Other than that, does anyone have suggestions for improvement? I'm stuck at the moment on what else I can do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 4
Looks good and I'll probably give it a try should I ever have problems with Switch. Switch is the converter I use mainly and I love it: lightweight, easy and simple UI.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I think the biggest challenge you will find when recruiting users is simply that there are already several usable alternatives out there. You will have to convince people that the effort to use your solution is mitigated by how much better/easier it is. I use Foobar --> LAME and it works fine.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the biggest challenge you will find when recruiting users is simply that there are already several usable alternatives out there. You will have to convince people that the effort to use your solution is mitigated by how much better/easier it is. I use Foobar --> LAME and it works fine.

I wasn't so much trying to recruit users as to elicit feedback, so that I may improve the program.

I'll give you my full motivation for writing it though; I didn't want to include it in my original post so that I could briefly ask my question.
smily_headphones1.gif

I rip all of my CDs to my computer in FLAC format. I listen to those files at home, but since I have such a limited space on my Rockbox'd Sansa, I decided to use the Ogg Vorbis format. I use FlacSquisher to encode all of the Ogg files to a different directory, but keep the directory structure (e.g. C:\Media\FlacMusic\Artist\Album\song1.flac becomes C:\Media\OggMusic\Artist\Album\song1.ogg).

If I rip a couple new CDs, I throw them in my Flac directory, run FlacSquisher, and it only encodes the new albums. Likewise, if advances are made with the lossy encoder, I can just delete the lossy folder, run FlacSquisher, and a few hours later I have my lossy files ready to go (after all, there were huge quality improvements between LAME 3.97 and 3.98). To my knowledge, there's no easy way to do this in Foobar -- if there was, I never would've written FlacSquisher.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back