Flac?
Mar 14, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
for going FLAC -> ALAC i think the only way is FLAC->WAV->ALAC

But I think it's better to go FLAC --> WMA Lossless --> ALAC
because you don't loose id Tags.
The first part is done with dbPowerAmp and the second one with iTunes.
(I check that when I started to make FLAC ripping).

Mar 14, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
For playback or to convert or what? I don't believe he/she is asking about encoding FLAC files.

I was rather referring to you suggesting dbpoweramp.

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shosta
But I think it's better to go FLAC --> WMA Lossless --> ALAC
because you don't loose id Tags.
The first part is done with dbPowerAmp and the second one with iTunes.
(I check that when I started to make FLAC ripping).

You mean you use dbpoweramp to convert Flac to WMA, which is stored in your iTunes folder, then use iTunes to select the WMA files and convert internally in iTunes to apple loss, while the original WMA file is set to erase after ALAC is created? What a pain!

Mar 14, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
What a pain!

That's like two steps (not counting the invisible WAV conversions). I bet the whole process takes less time than encoding to LAME MP3. How bad can that really be?

Mar 14, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
You mean you use dbpoweramp to convert Flac to WMA, which is stored in your iTunes folder, then use iTunes to select the WMA files and convert internally in iTunes to apple loss, while the original WMA file is set to erase after ALAC is created? What a pain!

Yes. But it works. I haven't found other way.

I don't have an iPod (I don't discard it in a future ¿5g or 6g?) but I'm converting my music to FLAC (for long term use) so I wanted to know if i could play my music in an iPod keeping idTags (the most human spending task for me is to fill idTags when ripping -freedb.org is not perfect for classical music-) and keeping them in a lossless format.

Next thing I did was to convert the three formats to wav and compared the three wavs (binary). As expected they were equals in size and content.

I try to keep music in a lossless format (I don't want to rip again my 1500 cds collection). I think that conversion between lossless formats o lossless to wma/mp3/ogg/etc it's a matter of computer time. It can be done at night, I don't have to be present. So I don't count that time, although I know than sometimes (in a hurry) it can be annoying.

Mar 14, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
That's like two steps (not counting the invisible WAV conversions). I bet the whole process takes less time than encoding to LAME MP3. How bad can that really be?

In my computer (laptop Pentium Centrino) the whole process takes about a 1/4 of time of a CBR LAME conversion.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 23
DO I need to decode Flac for use in a Hi res Player The Fiio M11, or can I just drop into player ?? Sorry Newb Question i generally play only on . my Laptop but Jumped face first into Hi res Players

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #23 of 23
^
You can drop in and play on 99.9% of today's hi-res players.

And more importantly....

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION, BATMAN!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back