FLAC/WAV conversion question
Aug 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jc222284

100+ Head-Fier
When converting FLAC or WAV what should you convert the files in to? 

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
When converting FLAC or WAV what should you convert the files in to? 

Whatever you want, as long as you don't overwrite the original file.

You should convert your WAV file to FLAC unless there's a specific reason you have them in WAV. Then if you need smaller files for portables or something, re-encode the FLAC into variable bitrate MP3 with LAME, or Ogg Vorbis if your player supports it. Aim for a variable bitrate of around 200kbps average.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Whatever you want, as long as you don't overwrite the original file.

You should convert your WAV file to FLAC unless there's a specific reason you have them in WAV. Then if you need smaller files for portables or something, re-encode the FLAC into variable bitrate MP3 with LAME, or Ogg Vorbis if your player supports it. Aim for a variable bitrate of around 200kbps average.

So I should convert them to 320 mp3? but don't do anything to the original FLAC or WAV File? is that correct

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
So I should convert them to 320 mp3? but don't do anything to the original FLAC or WAV File? is that correct

There's no point in using 320kbps MP3 if you can use variable bitrate. What program are you using to convert these files?

Don't do anything to your lossless files if you don't need the space. Only convert to a lossy format if you're using a portable player or need space on your hard drive. If you're using a portable but don't need hard drive space, keep your lossless files and put the lossy files you make with them into your portable player. If you need hard drive space, just replace them with variable bitrate lossy because you probably won't notice the difference.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
There's no point in using 320kbps MP3 if you can use variable bitrate. What program are you using to convert these files?

Don't do anything to your lossless files if you don't need the space. Only convert to a lossy format if you're using a portable player or need space on your hard drive. If you're using a portable but don't need hard drive space, keep your lossless files and put the lossy files you make with them into your portable player. If you need hard drive space, just replace them with variable bitrate lossy because you probably won't notice the difference.

What program should I use LAME?

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 6
If you want to save space and don't mind lower quality, convert them into 320kbps mp3.
If you have space to spare and want the highest quality possible, go for FLAC.

Personally I feel that .wav are a waste of space, since I don't hear any difference between wav and flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back