FLAC volume level is very low?
Jul 18, 2005 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sanne

100+ Head-Fier
While listening to some albums I just encoded to FLAC, encoding level 8 with FLAC frontend, I noticed the volume level was considerably lower than with my mp3's of the same albums. anyone know why this is?

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 5
Don't remember exact details, but as I recall MP3s boost the volume somewhat, depending on how which encoder you use (don't think LAME does). How do the FLAC sound compared to the WAV? Also, as I recall FLAC frontend has an option for replaygain. Was that checked?

Jul 18, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 5
FLAC w/o Replaygain should be (I dare saying: is) exactly as loud as the original. MP3, however, tends to not preserve the absolute volume levels and is best used with both the encoder and decoder supporting Replaygain. The Replaygain info basically says how much the output level has to be corrected. I've seen up to -6 dB or so.

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Only -6dB? HA! I've got a few albums here that replaygain scanned at -11dB!
tongue.gif

Then again, I've also got a few that replaygain actually applies a small amount of gain to (mostly calssical stuff).

I weep over the lack of consistency. But I guess that's what replaygain is for, right?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back