flac to mp3 converter in ubuntu
Dec 7, 2009 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
i was just wondering

i had some flac in my library that i wanted to convert to mp3. the way im doing it now is running foobar under wine and converting thru that. is there a better way to do this? by better i mean instead of using wine to run a program but having a converter program that's meant to be run on ubuntu.

ive tried soundconverter but did not like it really..any other options?

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 5
There are apps like gnormalize and xfca (both not available in the repositories unfortunately, you'd have to download and install them manually), a Nautilus script/extension called nautilus-script-audio-convert, or you could just use flac/lame on the command line or in a bash script.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 5
NO need to run windows programs on linux just to convert media types!

expand flac to wav. then run lame to encode. then some tagger to transfer tags over.

are you asking for a one-stop solution, though? its not hard to just use discrete tools and manage the process yourself.

what I would do is use 2 separate drives. the flac drive is 'read only' and don't touch files there. the new drive will have the mp3 files and you mount that one read/write. (I would, anyway).

then you can write a script that does a 'find' and converts each file.

% find . -name \*flac -exec convert_flac_to_mp3.sh {} \;

that will walk a whole subtree and run that script for each of the files.

then that script simply expands flac to wav:

flac -d $1

(that decodes)

then the 2nd line will run lame:

lame $1

(give it any options you like for lame)

if you want to copy over the tags, that's a bit more complicated and perhaps you should import the tags into some database (I would..) and then have a script reset the tags in the new files based on the db data. seems like extra steps but it would be the way I'd do it (using mysql, probably).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back