Flac through Rockboxed Ipod to Wadia 170 iTransport?
Dec 8, 2008 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lornecherry

100+ Head-Fier
Is this even possible? Would like to try FLAC through my Wadia, if it will work. I understand that may 8GB Nano won't work with Rockbox? Can any of the new generation of Nano or iTouch be rockboxed to play FLAC.

(The reason I want FLAC, is because of the 24/96 files that I've downloaded from HDtracks ...will the Ipod even handle those through Rockbox?)

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 6
You can check on what runs rockbox at the web site Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

Working DAPs are listed right on the front page, status on works in progress is a click away.

In all the current Ipods, including anything past gen 1 Nano, Apple has taken steps to prevent alternate firmware by using encryption.

To quote Apple: "Think Different"

As long as you conform to their vision.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Its certainly possible.
You need an iPod supported by both Rockbox and the 170 iTransport. So either a 2G iPod nano or a 5G iPod it seem.

Not sure about 24/96 FLAC files and Rockbox though.

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, I went over to the Rockbox forum and the developer's reply was laughable: they insisted that the Wadia was probably "just line out" and had no idea it could pass bit perfect. As such, they said the 24/96 would be down-sampled to 44/16, which I thought was weird because the DAC in the Ipod is completely removed from the digital stream once the Wadia is used.

If someone has a Rockboxed iPod and a iTransport, I would sure like to know, otherwise, I guess I'll have to spring for a 2nd iPod and give it a try.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I went over to the Rockbox forum and the developer's reply was laughable: they insisted that the Wadia was probably "just line out" and had no idea it could pass bit perfect. As such, they said the 24/96 would be down-sampled to 44/16, which I thought was weird because the DAC in the Ipod is completely removed from the digital stream once the Wadia is used.

If someone has a Rockboxed iPod and a iTransport, I would sure like to know, otherwise, I guess I'll have to spring for a 2nd iPod and give it a try.

I wouldn't call it laughable when you didn't fully understand the answer and are presenting it out of context here.

You're original question regarding 24/96 playback was:
Quote:

2) Can Rockbox handle 24/96 FLAC

And you got the right answer:
Quote:

Yes, by resampling them to 44.1/16.

as you were asking about Rockbox...

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 6
rhymesgalore, I'm sorry if I, or anyone else in the Rockbox forums was quoted out of context ... that was certainly not my intent.

What I found however, was that the two responses I received, (one from a developer) focused on how the Wadia converted D to A, and they both got it completely wrong, even when I stated the Wadia was hooked up optically to an external DAC. And after I explained Wadia's "license" from Apple, they still did not believe me.

Understanding how the Wadia bypasses the DAC conversion process seems central to understanding what works and what doesn't with respect to firmware. As one of Rockboxs's calling cards is the focus on optimal sound quality, having no one on that forum even seemingly aware of the Wadia, and then confusing it with just another iPod doc is ... well you can fill in the adjective if you don't like laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back