FLAC Streaming to iOS
Jan 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MartynB85

100+ Head-Fier
I had a search and found a few old threads but thought I would ask just incase something new has appeared.

I have a QNAP NAS server, and a HP microserver running server 2012, both have tons of storage. At the moment my media library is on the windows server and backup up to the NAS. What i'd like to be able to do is stream my music (mostly FLAC) to my iOS devices at the original sample rates. I have tried foobar, it does seem to work but it isn't a very elegant solution.

Is there any software/apps out there that can do this? I'd be happy to stream from the windows box or the nas (qnap has quite a few apps that you can install).

Thanks

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I use neutron music player. easy to use library for me.

other option is UAPP and Hiby but I'm not quite impressed compared to neutron.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 8
I am using Foobar2000 for iOS these days. Works like a charm. :)

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Neutron looks good, do you play files locally from your device or stream from a pc?

I am using Foobar2000 at the moment, the app seems ok and I'd be happy to continue using it. But it isn't great for streaming, how can I stream my files without using foobar from a pc? 

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 8
  Neutron looks good, do you play files locally from your device or stream from a pc?

I am using Foobar2000 at the moment, the app seems ok and I'd be happy to continue using it. But it isn't great for streaming, how can I stream my files without using foobar from a pc? 

I stream on external HDD that attached at asus router by using upnp server. I think NAS is fine for neutron as well.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Well I had a play with Foobar, set up upnp and added a port forward on my router. I can play my music while away from home, works surprisingly well on 4g.

I may take a look at Neutron as I don't think the Fubar iOS app is great, for example you can't skip forward or backwards on a track. Not cheap at a fiver but not too bad if it does what I want.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 8
Hey I have been trying to figure out how to access my pc music library through foobar2000 on ios, could you tell me how you did it? I can access my pc's music through local upnp through the ios app on my phone but cant figure out how to do it outside my house. Could you help me?

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 8
  Hey I have been trying to figure out how to access my pc music library through foobar2000 on ios, could you tell me how you did it? I can access my pc's music through local upnp through the ios app on my phone but cant figure out how to do it outside my house. Could you help me?

Of course.

First of all you will need to install this plugin 

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp

Once you have done that, in Foobar go file then preferences, UPnP and then server. Configure your streaming profile, then under 'internet access' tick allow. Pop in your public IP, or dns name if you have one, also a username and password.

Then you need to allow the port through your router. I added a port forward (port 56923) and directed this to my server's IP. You will have to do the same on your server/pc if you have a firewall enabled.

Then you should be good to go. Let us know how you got on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back