FLAC source for £70-£80
Apr 16, 2019 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

msknight

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

Sorry for the silence; life is a little crazy right now... to put it mildly... but you don't want to know that !

I have a friend who has listened to my AK70 on some Senn cans, and he's decided that he wants to up his listening game but not spend a load of money in the first instance.

There's a load of options for his budget range... actually, too many options and the question of trust is coming into things, especially with the scandals of bought reviews.

So I thought I'd come on here and ask for some advice, on his behalf please.

As said, budget between £70-£80, must play FLAC. 32gig on board minimum, if expandable to 1280 by card would be beautiful. Battery lifespan... is 30 hours possible with current models? - He also values good display and thought out GUI.

Optional - Bluetooth when on public transport, etc.

Any oppinions gratefully received.

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 9
Fiio x3ii second hand

Or

Sony A35 second hand

Or shanling m0

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi Folks,

Sorry for the silence; life is a little crazy right now... to put it mildly... but you don't want to know that !

I have a friend who has listened to my AK70 on some Senn cans, and he's decided that he wants to up his listening game but not spend a load of money in the first instance.

There's a load of options for his budget range... actually, too many options and the question of trust is coming into things, especially with the scandals of bought reviews.

So I thought I'd come on here and ask for some advice, on his behalf please.

As said, budget between £70-£80, must play FLAC. 32gig on board minimum, if expandable to 1280 by card would be beautiful. Battery lifespan... is 30 hours possible with current models? - He also values good display and thought out GUI.

Optional - Bluetooth when on public transport, etc.

Any oppinions gratefully received.
Advancedmp3 players in the uk have a box opened (read it'll be fine) for £77.00 atm if that's any use? No idea how long it will stay there.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 9
Did you get sorted out with a player. New or second hand...?
Checked on Advancedmp3players....But no deals there.....
Two things you could mention.... (1) The Fiio M3k New player for £60.....does quite a bit .....
(2) The Xduoo X3 ...... Which I have recently pucked up £40. New....Black or Silver.... worth reading some older posts about them on here.....even with some saying don't buy as pitch error......I have no problem...They sound good, plays nearly all files, two ad card slots...battery life about 8 hours ......but I bought more than one, all charged up, so on a long trip....take more than one....lol......super sound....headphone out and line out....

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 9
I think he's still chewing over the new or second hand question... but the Fiio Mk 3 is a good suggestion.

I do have an Xduoo X3 myself, and I'm having a real hard time with it; and there's no firmware on their web site, last time I checked. A few days ago I transferred a load of FLAC files to a card and put it in the X3, for him to get a look at... but the vast majority weren't recognised by the unit at all. It's actually my poor experience with the X3 and the malfunctioning lower card slot that persuaded me to drop money on the AK70 in the beginning. I really think this is down to software, but with no firmware update available... my X3 is more useless than a house brick :)

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for that, I will double check my folders on my cards in the X3... I have 3 players, all with 2 cards in...So far had no probs....??
I only have 64gb cards ......maybe x3 copes better with that size... Which cards have
You got in ?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 9
I've got 32gb cards in... now I only run with one in the top slot only. But since I bought the AK70, it hasn't been used. - I really would love to get my hands on updated firmware... I think I might drop them an e-mail at the weekend, and see what they say.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 9
All mine are version 1.1......just had a good look at my folders, to many to count, as some are sub folder files with about 20 odd cds inside....not as easy as jyst counting the folder files.... but they look good, can't see any not showing ? ., when I choose Play All ., It shows the number playing out of over 8000 songs using both cards..And a little less in player no.2....both have two 64gb cards inside....but some are long cd tracks.....
And in my 3rd player I have two 32gb cards inside, showing. 8899. Songs. But that's because they are compilations with about 25 tracks on each cd......more songs , but smaller cards...
So I'm pretty pleased so far....only cost around £40. Each player....be and new...all version 1.1
Let me know how you get on with the e-mail....etc
Only thing I'd like better is longer battery life....getting about 8hr each player.... Mainly using Line out into my hifi aux ....rather than headphone out....but have used headphone out into speaker....still same battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back