FLAC quality question + player that supports FLAC options?
Jan 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sean Logue

New Head-Fier
To start, I have a Zune HD 32, Audio Technica ATH-M50's (that have been burned in), and no amp (don't plan on buying one anytime soon)

First question, which may be a dumb one, but I'm clueless with this topic.
Are FLAC files actually that much better than MP3?

Next question, I've heard that the Sansa Clip+ can support FLAC files. That means that playing a FLAC file of a song I like on the Sansa will sound better than listening to the same song through MP3 on my Zune, correct?

Like I said, I'm clueless when it comes to this, as I'm relatively new to the sq world. I'm trying to explore options for increasing sound quality without buying new headphones again or an amp.

My original plan was to buy a smaller portable audio player that supports FLAC and is sub $75 preferably, and use the ATH-M50's.

Is the Sansa Clip+ powerful enough to drive full size headphones?

Couple side questions:
Of the different players that support FLAC...
Which has better battery life?
Which has better overall sq?
Which is a better deal?

If you can answer any of these questions, please do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 5
FLAC are much better than MP3 in the sense that it is lossless.

the sansa clip+ is not powerful enough to drive full size headphones and the same for almost all the DAPs in the market.
other such as the HiFiMAN HM-801 will be able to drive them i guess

the zune HD should have a longer battery life

overall SQ, most will say sansa clip+ is better

better deal depends on what you mean by that.

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Yes, when speaking purely tech, FLAC is clearly superior to MP3, but high-bitrate MP3s will be sufficient for most users. I'd say it's not worth investing in a new player just to get FLAC. And this is not from the audiophile's point of view - I'm not a complete noob, but I'm not an audiophile.

And regarding if it'll sound better, I doubt the audible difference is that great when it comes to your portable setup. Not many can differ 320kb/s from FLAC, even with good setups, so I wouldn't hope for too much.

If you're really desperate to hear a difference, why don't you just buy a 2GB Clip/Clip+ and throw in some .flac files and test? I don't know where you live but I'm sure 2GB Versions can't be expensive. Otherwise you could even get something used, that should cost you near to nothing.

Most people here love FLAC but I'm a bit skeptic to it. I do realize that I wouldn't hear a difference with my $100 HP and integrated audio, but I'm gonna test a couple of albums once I buy new stuff. Otherwise I'll just rip it in high bitrate mp3's/download it in 320 as that is the most common (when buying digitally, non-itunes).

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 5

well i did hear the differences between flac and 320kbps mp3 converted from the flac file, with  just a senn HD555 and styleaudio HD1V $100 dac. So with a good headphone/IEM  with a decent dap  FLAC is good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back