FLAC Portable Music Player
Jun 7, 2008 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LordofDoom

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any portable music player that has a decent size memory (30-60GB++), plays FLAC audio, and isn't >$250? Otherwise is there any decent program/modification/etc for an iPod or other that would fit these needs?

Please help me out here, my last MP3/Portable Player was an iPod First Gen 5GB
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: Additionally, does anyone know of any cheap-ish (<$50) headphones that are pretty decent? I prefer over-the-ear, but in ear is okay.

Jun 7, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 15
Get a 5.5 generation 80gig ipod and put rockbox on it.
That supports flac, and tons of other good SQ features.

Only thing I can think of that meets your requirements.
And sorry, I'm not good at headphones...

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 15
If you like your first iPod why not get another with Rockbox?

By the way, why does it have to be FLAC? Can you really tell the difference? And also if you are not too particular about headphones, why are you so particular in codec?

Just my opinion, but I don't think it is a major difference between mp3 192 kbps and lossless. Now if you can tell the difference then by all means go ahead and listen to FLAC. If you can't tell the difference then just stick to ogg/mp3.

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 15
I found out today that I can convert music to MP3 when sending it to my player, I might just do that. It would be in FLAC because that's what I listen to on my hard drive, earlier I figured it easier to keep it FLAC and find a player for it before I knew it would convert upon sync. I'll be looking around. Any good players besides an iPod for non-FLAC tunes?

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 15
I'll second the iPod suggestion, 80GB Videos are quite reasonably priced refurb, esp. since you seem to like Rockbox.

EDIT: He, missed the above post. Now that you're not limited to FLAC there's quite a number of options. How important is gapless to you?

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 15
x2 on the 5.5G (or 5) iPod, running Rockbox.

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatmaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about iriver h140? I think they sell it on iriverstore for quite reasonable price.

From what I understand theiriverstore.com only sells the H120 (20GB Version). The H140 is not available brand new. I would have bought a H140 if it were at theiriverstore.com brand new.

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 15
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I would even settle for a list of portables that support lossless (other than the iPod obviously and Apple Lossless). I am for example and so disappointed the Sony's don't support WMA Lossless much less FLAC or OGG.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 15
For your information:

A compression rate of 320 Kbits/sec is the same as a sampling rate of 10KHz.

Do the math:

2 samples ( one for each channel ) x 16 bits /sample = 32 bits/sample.

320 Kbits/sec divided by 32 bits/sample = 10Ksamples/sec or 10KHz.

That's a compression ratio of 22.7%.

That's close to FLAC, so why not just give me FLAC?!

Can I hear the difference? Yes. Immediately. Even at 320 Kbits.

Granted, it is harder to tell if you are ONLY listening to purely electronic music without cymbals/acoustic instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back