FLAC players (Bluesound Vault, RPi, portables)
Jan 19, 2021 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nomis3613

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-fi gurus,
This here luddite is looking to move from CDs into the world of FLAC. The core aim is a box that has inbuilt storage, a remote control or Android app, and a digital output (it'll be going into a Schiit Modi). Nice-to-haves are the ability to rip CDs (to avoid having to use the computer) and USB output (to free up the Modi's optical and coax inputs). Initial research suggests that my options are:
  • Bluesound Vault / Innous ZENmini: Expensive for a FLAC player, but will do the ripping. Is there anything else out there I should consider?
  • Raspberry Pi: Justboom Digi HAT perhaps? Any tips for someone with zero RPi experience please? Can the music be stored locally (eg MicroSD or USB stick) instead of streamed from a network?
  • Portable DAP: something like a FiiO M6, using the Android app for remote control. Any thoughts about drawbacks of using a portable device like this?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Dear Head-fi gurus,
This here luddite is looking to move from CDs into the world of FLAC. The core aim is a box that has inbuilt storage, a remote control or Android app, and a digital output (it'll be going into a Schiit Modi). Nice-to-haves are the ability to rip CDs (to avoid having to use the computer) and USB output (to free up the Modi's optical and coax inputs). Initial research suggests that my options are:
  • Bluesound Vault / Innous ZENmini: Expensive for a FLAC player, but will do the ripping. Is there anything else out there I should consider?
  • Raspberry Pi: Justboom Digi HAT perhaps? Any tips for someone with zero RPi experience please? Can the music be stored locally (eg MicroSD or USB stick) instead of streamed from a network?
  • Portable DAP: something like a FiiO M6, using the Android app for remote control. Any thoughts about drawbacks of using a portable device like this?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
<aol mode> Me too! I will watch this thread with interest.

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Nice-to-haves are the ability to rip CDs (to avoid having to use the computer)
Think it over.
Nice to have a box ripping but what about the quality of the tags?
Just something unstructured from Freedb?
Does it support AccourateRip?
Anything else it doesn't do but you are not aware of?
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/Ripping.htm

Better stay in control (says a guy who bought a box doing the ripping and had to do it all over again but this time on a PC!)

My personal preference: a PC with a excellent USB DAC
Veel free to substitute PC with MAC, Linux, Android , XYZ but as I "know" Win it is the most convenient solution (for me)

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 7
Think it over.
Nice to have a box ripping but what about the quality of the tags?
Just something unstructured from Freedb?
Does it support AccourateRip?
Anything else it doesn't do but you are not aware of?
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/Ripping.htm

Better stay in control (says a guy who bought a box doing the ripping and had to do it all over again but this time on a PC!)

My personal preference: a PC with a excellent USB DAC
Veel free to substitute PC with MAC, Linux, Android , XYZ but as I "know" Win it is the most convenient solution (for me)
Ahh, yes. Thanks for the warning. The thought came from the fact that I spend too long staring at computer screens, but sounds like it's the best option here.

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Just an update about what I ended up doing. So far, I took the cheap option and bought a FiiO M6 portable player. The main reasons for this model is that it has USB audio output (haven't tried it yet, the DAC hasn't arrived), storage is using a Micro SD card and it can be remotely controlled from my phone via an app. The connection to the phone via WiFi works well, giving better range than Bluetooth. The remote control app (FiiO Link) is a bit clunky for searching through the library, but it does the job for the basics of play, pause, skip and volume.

I'm still tempted by a standalone CD ripper, but can't bring myself to spend approx US$1k on a refurbished Bluesound Vault etc.

Also, there's been a downside of digital music that I hadn't considered... CD liner notes. I enjoy flipping through the little booklets while listening, and find it often helps get engrossed in the album. So I'm still weighing up whether to keep spinning discs or get with the times...

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Also, there's been a downside of digital music that I hadn't considered... CD liner notes. I enjoy flipping through the little booklets while listening, and find it often helps get engrossed in the album. So I'm still weighing up whether to keep spinning discs or get with the times...
I listen mostly from my PC or use Bluetooth output to a FiiO BTR5 with IEM's to play PC-based content with a bit more mobility around the house. When included with FLAC downloads I save the album booklet in the music folder in pdf format and definitely agree that reading the content and perusing artist photos enhances the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back