FLAC or any other high res formats
Mar 21, 2014 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

lookingforIEMs

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there a physical shop to purchase FLAC or any high res format? Excuse me for being a noob but its currently alien territory to me that I'd like to cross into it. Only problem is 1) i have no wifi, only phone data plan 2) i'd need parents help to purchase online ( hard to get help from them ) . Help?

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 28
Why not go out and buy some CD's? There are many places that sell CD's.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 28
I read that CDs are only PCM or something and basically are not FLAC format. I have many many CDs at home and can burn music off them anytime but I just want to get hi res file for once to experience hi res

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 28
I read that CDs are only PCM or something and basically are not FLAC format. I have many many CDs at home and can burn music off them anytime but I just want to get hi res file for once to experience hi res

Hi-res is in no way better than CD quality, trust me on that. You just need to rip your CD's in lossless quality (like WAV or FLAC).

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 28
You're welcome. I suppose you are a human without superhuman hearing, right? Then don't think anymore of needing hi-res files.

In reality, though, some DACs measure better when receiving 192/24, and in some cases downsampling from hi-res files can yield audible artefacts, but if everything is done right, there shouldn't be an audible difference.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 28
Hey guys...... ripped some old albums and some new ones into nothing FLAC and WAV. All i can say is that on 16/44.1, WAV is far far clearer and has much less distortion. Now gotta find some HDCDs :)

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 28
Seems unlikely unless you screwed something up

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 28
Nope I used dbpoweramp to convert all sorts of albums like Mariah Carey ' s Music Box, Michael Jackson ' s HIStory and Dangerous and many more. WAV was consistently clearer. It could be because of my DAP, the X5 tho. Read somewhere that a certain update caused some problems with FLAC encoded music

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 28
I'd recommend carrying out a double-blind listening test to determine whether or not you can actually determine a difference in quality between formats if you're still concerned about hearing the best audio. I used to think I could differentiate them but after experimenting a bit I found that I was pretty much guessing. Put my mind at ease and let me just enjoy the music.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 28
  I'd recommend carrying out a double-blind listening test to determine whether or not you can actually determine a difference in quality between formats if you're still concerned about hearing the best audio. I used to think I could differentiate them but after experimenting a bit I found that I was pretty much guessing. Put my mind at ease and let me just enjoy the music.

+1 

I've done several double blind tests between mp3 320, FLAC, and higher-res stuff and the 320 is just as transparent to these ears as anything else. There is very little proof anywhere of anyone who can reliably discern between anything better than CD quality and mp3 320. That being said, I've converted my entire library to 320 to save space. Doubled the amount of music I can put on my X5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back