FLAC on ZVM??
May 13, 2007 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Swaye

New Head-Fier
Greetings all, i was looking to purchase a new creative zen vision m and i was wondering if FLAC audio format works on it?

any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
3000smile.gif

May 13, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 21
A short Google search gave me this.
Quote:

Creative Zen Vision:M
Specifications:
Supported Audio formats: MP3, WMA (inc MS PD DRM), WAV

No FLAC mentioned there, so....

source

May 13, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 21
To keep things simple I just use Apple Lossless on my iPod. But if iPods aren't your thing I would look into getting a device that supports Rockbox or something from Cowon.

May 13, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 21
The Creative ZVM is a great unit but doesn't support FLAC. But... if your library is in FLAC why not just convert it to high-bitrate MP3 (such as LAME -V0) for use in the player? Any current PC can convert even a large library in a few hours or less, you'll never hear a difference, and battery life will be much better. If you eliminate players based on lack of support of FLAC you won't have many left to choose from...

May 13, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 21
Hmmmm thanks for the replies people...unfortunately i've really chosen to not go with the ipod.And i cant find the rockbox here in malaysia... thats why i'm down the the ZVM. so i guess converting would be a good choise..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Creative ZVM is a great unit but doesn't support FLAC. But... if your library is in FLAC why not just convert it to high-bitrate MP3 (such as LAME -V0) for use in the player? Any current PC can convert even a large library in a few hours or less, you'll never hear a difference, and battery life will be much better. If you eliminate players based on lack of support of FLAC you won't have many left to choose from...

Hmm i see what software would i need to do this?

May 13, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Hmm i see what software would i need to do this?

There are many options but Foobar2000 (Google for it, it's free) is probably one of the better ones, and it uses the LAME MP3 encoder which is widely regarded to be the best at high bitrates.

May 14, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm thanks for the replies people...unfortunately i've really chosen to not go with the ipod.And i cant find the rockbox here in malaysia... thats why i'm down the the ZVM. so i guess converting would be a good choise..

I just want to make sure, but it seems like you are thinking Rockbox is a device. It is a replacement firmware for many DAPs...see the link in my signature.

May 14, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 21
Only thing on Zen lossless-wise is WAV, I use V0 mp3s and its all good
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 21
you guys say "v0 mp3's", where do you get the converters/encoders for these? Is there a specific one you guys use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back