Flac on DBPoweramp
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #31 of 33
If it's lossless there should be no difference in overall sound quality. The same goes for lossy if the data rate is high enough to achieve transparency.

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #33 of 33
given that we don't know what Anthony was using as settings in either apps, or in his playback app, I guess it could be more of a matter of using some limiter or add replay gain metadata while ripping. or on occasion it could be that one software isn't using much of an error correction trick, which could also simply be a matter of setting the app differently.
I can't really claim anything, I last used wmp more than 10years ago. I install a new windows version, install all the apps I like, want to play a media file and Win keeps launching wmp, which is really all one needs to do to make sure I will never ever use the app(yes I'm that much of a kid).
still I've experienced a few times while testing random apps and settings for the lolz, an album clipping a lot(at levels and frequency hard not to notice on low dynamic songs) right after a rip. so that doesn't surprise me. but each time it didn't actually clip the digital data. just lowering the preamp in foobar by 2 or 3dB would give me back non clipped music. and then as I always apply replaygain and delete all + values like a barbarian, clipping is not really a concern in my life(also EQ with some more gain attenuation).

I believe many people have been using dbpoweramp simply because it does a lot, and over the years you could always find some tuto somewhere telling you how to rip like a champ with it. it's the convenience that's attractive IMO, not that it turns 1 and 0 into better 1 and 0.

Your right. I like dbpower amp for its features. It shows up disc errors when ripping, (a simple clean usually sorts that), I can amend album artwork, etc., but my initial post was only to ask if the lossless encoding levels made a difference, and in the first reply I got the answer. I know there is a cost to dbpoweramp, but its a one off payment with free updates, and there is a 21 day free trial with it so anyone could try it and if they like it, go for it. IMO, I find it better to use that wma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back