FLAC on Amarok
Mar 22, 2007 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Packgrog

500+ Head-Fier
My current install of Amarok on Ubuntu 6.06 (latest version available via Synaptic) using the Xine engine doesn't seem to like FLAC files. I always get a "There is no audio channel" error whenever I try playing FLAC file. And yet, FLAC files play just fine in Xfmedia and "Movie Player".

Any ideas?

-Packgrog

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 15
I think this is an issue with the Xine libs. Apparently Xine tells Amarok that it doesn't support flac. There is a patch available on the ubuntu forums. I thought this had been fixed in the latest version, though. Are your sources up to date?

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm up-to-date on all the packages available via Synaptic for Ubuntu 6.06. I'm sure there's more up-to-date versions out there that haven't made the repositories yet. Would it be worthwhile to add some more general Debian repositories, in case those are more up-to-date?

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm up-to-date on all the packages available via Synaptic for Ubuntu 6.06. I'm sure there's more up-to-date versions out there that haven't made the repositories yet. Would it be worthwhile to add some more general Debian repositories, in case those are more up-to-date?

Hmmmm. I think this was fixed in Ubuntu 6.1. Maybe they stopped updating the repositories for 6.06? Anyway, I had this same problem with a previous install, and I cured it with a patch referenced in the following thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=210683

The patch is simple to install and seems to work well. Let me know if you need more specifics.

--asdf

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't remember exactly how to do this, can't you set amarok to use something besides xine to play file?

I think you can, but I never had any success doing that. Perhaps the default version (with Ubuntu) is Xine only. Maybe you have to remove the default version and reinstall one of the other ones?

If this is the same problem that I had, it really is easy to patch with the deb package from that thread. Apparently the newer version of Amarok would ask Xine if it supported flac. Xine would report 'no', and Amarok wouldn't play. The latest version of Xine fixes the problem if you can find it for your distribution. Also, you can (apparently) install an older version of Amarok that doesn't query Xine.

I had some other Amarok issues under Ubuntu (not other distros), so I tried quod libet, which is another excellent player/manager. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Lately, I'm using Amarok on PCLinuxOS (which I don't upgrade as compulsively, so it's been very stable and reliable).

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Download the source and compile it yourself.
icon10.gif

I think ubuntu 6.10 fixed the problem. I remember having the same problem before and I then decided to do a distribution upgrade. After that, I remember the flac problem being fixed.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Works fine in FreeBSD with the latest version of Amarok and libxine. I would suggest upgrading your version of libxine, if possible.

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 15
libxine-extracodecs was already installed. Uninstalled it all and reinstalled it, and the problem is still there.

The problem with the posted patches is that they are for an older version than what's provided in Synaptic. It also looks like they aren't bothering to fix it in 6.06 since it's already fixed in 6.10, and they will have an entirely new system in place for dealing with media types in 7.04. It's kind of annoying that they didn't fix a known bug in the Long Term Support version.
frown.gif
Ah well.

I'm wondering if I should just wait a month or two and do a dist-upgrade to 7.04 after the bugs have been worked out.

-Packgrog

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
libxine-extracodecs was already installed. Uninstalled it all and reinstalled it, and the problem is still there.

The problem with the posted patches is that they are for an older version than what's provided in Synaptic. It also looks like they aren't bothering to fix it in 6.06 since it's already fixed in 6.10, and they will have an entirely new system in place for dealing with media types in 7.04. It's kind of annoying that they didn't fix a known bug in the Long Term Support version.
frown.gif
Ah well.

I'm wondering if I should just wait a month or two and do a dist-upgrade to 7.04 after the bugs have been worked out.

-Packgrog

What version of libxine do you have installed? There are different patches available. If you can't find one anywhere, there are a few other alternatives: You could try compiling from source as suggested by another poster. You could give quod libet a try. You could add another partition (or more) and install Ubuntu 6.10 or 7.04 (beta). You could try another distribution on another partition (PCLinuxOS has been a good experiment for me)--distrowatch.com has many good ones to choose from.

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 15
I have never had a problem with flac in amarok.

If your still having trouble take this question to the ubuntu forums.

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 15
Which version of Ubuntu are you on Lowfront? I had terrible probs with both 6.06 and edgy, plenty of forum posts about it. Worked on edgy after a custom .deb was applied but I'm stuck with a custom subversion compile at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back