FLAC on 6th Gen ipoD??
Nov 24, 2008 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Malakei

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there, does anyone know of any firmware or software loadings for the 6th gen ipod for FLAC support?? I much prefer FLAC to 320mp3 and am curious if this will ever be supported on my ipod :p

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 31
To confirm, 6G (and 7G) iPod classics are not Rockboxable, and may never be. And FLAC is not supported on the OF.

As for ALAC conversion, I don't have an answer - I strictly use FLAC. Sorry!

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 31
I've converted all my FLAC files to ALAC with DBAmp. There's no noticable difference between the two lossless codecs.

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mambo5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm i too am curious about playing flac on high capacity portable players.

Any other flac playing players with monster storage capacity, like 80gb?

I know Cowon and Archos offer 80+ GB players (the Archos 5 and the Cowon A3 come to mind. The Archos 5 has a recent firmware update to accept FLAC / Vorbis). If Rockbox is your thing, there are few options except to mod an iRiver / Gigabeat / iPod 5G to accept a larger drive.

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 31
iPod won't support FLAC, and Rockbox isn't even working on it seriously. Your only real bet is to transcode to ALAC using something like DBpoweramp.

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've converted all my FLAC files to ALAC with DBAmp. There's no noticable difference between the two lossless codecs.

... as there shouldn't be! They're both lossless formats!
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 31
6G iPod and FLAC are not possible.
Cause the Apple firmware don't support FLAC, and 3rd. party firmware like Rockbox don't support the 6G iPod.

As several others above I recommend you convert your FLAC files to Apple Lossless. Besides dbpoweramp I am not aware of any MS Windows application allowing you to do the direct transcode.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... as there shouldn't be! They're both lossless formats!
tongue.gif

I've never used Apple, but noticeable differences in other lossless formats can include tagging and whether/how well they do random seeks.
(thinking of shorten)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back