FLAC levels question ...
Aug 17, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #16 of 24
i use level 5.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand, no matter what compression level is used, decoding involves only integer arithmetic.

I never knew that. Cool beans.

I thought increased processing needed[therefore battery sucking] from FLAC8 was the price you paid for relatively smaller files. If not, its just paid for in increased encoding time.

...not bothered though, as I use foobar.

If it was the case, couldn't you just re-encode an 8 to 5 or less...

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. The processor time needed to decode a FLAC file is completely independent of the compression level used.

Agreed. I use the highest compression since it takes no time for my computer to encode anyway. It takes way longer for EAC to read the CD then encode to FLAC
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
So Flac level 0 takes the least space and battery but takes the longest time? Or is it the other way around?

Level 0 takes up the most space, Level 8 takes up the least amount of space.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #22 of 24
Dec 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #23 of 24
FLAC 0 can actually take longer to decode than flac 5 which is the default because it is a nice compromise between load and time but higher compression levels do use more CPU cycles (about 3% in 0 vs 5 which should be negligible). The added time for 0 may have to do with starting with more bits at lower cdompession levels but I really don't know. I'll have to try level 2 as I do prefer 0 to 5. I wont try to explain why because it would be a guess and I understand that there should be no difference on playback.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #24 of 24
Thanks, what about battery life?
on my Galaxy Nexus, there's no practical difference in battery life between compression 8 and compression 5 for playback. The file size doesn't differ by very much anyway, so I always just use compression 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back