Flac in iTunes?
Jun 29, 2006 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FaBoLoUsRmX

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if i can get flac files to be played/decoded by the iTunes program? It would save a step in converting the flac files to apple lossless using dbpoweramp
tongue.gif

Thanks~

Jun 29, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 19
iTunes will not play FLAC files natively, some conversion is needed. Dbpoweramp is the easiest way I have found. I sure wish that iTunes would support FLAC natively, but I don't see it happening.

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 19
bump. they've added FLAC support in the latest release...one should be able to listen to FLAC files in itunes now...will check on this later today.

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bump. they've added FLAC support in the latest release...one should be able to listen to FLAC files in itunes now...will check on this later today.

For Windows, I have version 7.0.2.16, which iTunes says is the latest version. It does not support FLAC. I tried.

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

XiphQT support the FLAC codec. But only when placed in a Ogg container, not the native FLAC container.

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XiphQT support the FLAC codec. But only when placed in a Ogg container, not the native FLAC container.

Which, sadly, is not Native Flac support. In fact, it's really no help at all - I can just keep using dbpoweramp to transcode FLAC to ALAC. I want NATIVE FLAC support, damnit!
eek.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 19
maybe you could try using something other than itunes (although if you are on a mac, I admit there are not too many other options).

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you could try using something other than itunes (although if you are on a mac, I admit there are not too many other options).

No interest in that. I have 200GB of music in Apple Lossless format.

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

shoot! well, sorry for the "tease"...i thought it was native support. i have my music in ALAC as well, but i thought it might help all you windows users with FLAC files...oh well.

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

shoot! well, sorry for the "tease"...i thought it was native support. i have my music in ALAC as well, but i thought it might help all you windows users with FLAC files...oh well.

And if they ever do native support, it will be helpful! I rip in ALAC, but there is a lot of stuff I download in FLAC, so it would sure be handy to just leave all that stuff in FLAC. Ah well, someday...

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if they ever do native support, it will be helpful! I rip in ALAC, but there is a lot of stuff I download in FLAC, so it would sure be handy to just leave all that stuff in FLAC. Ah well, someday...

What is FLAC?
What is ALAC?
Is FLAC/ALAC the same as Apple Lossless?
Has Apple come out with an update to allow one to use FLAC/ALAC on an iMac?

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back