FLAC Gain?
May 17, 2007 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Raphael

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I've been tempted enough to re-rip my CDs to FLAC. This is going to be several long weeks... I'm going to look into what decoder to use, as I have never ripped to FLAC before, with my experience lying solely with LAME. But here's the thing I liked about mp3s. Several CDs are recorded badly, with very audible clipping. It's absolutely disgusting. So I would use MP3Gain to tune them down to about 89 decibels. This would keep all my songs at a similar volume level while minimizing clipping. Is there any sort of program like this for FLAC?

May 17, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 11
You can use 'metaflac' to add Replay Gain tags to your files

May 17, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 11
If they have clipping in the original recording, Mp3Gain won't remove the clipping - it will only reduce the volume of it (as well as everything else). Anyway, if you want a gain tool that can be used across all (I think) formats, and something that can play them back too, just use Foobar, simple.

May 20, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 11
oh wow, I've really frustrated myself now. I don't understand why I'm not getting this. I suppose that after 7 straight hours of ripping FLAC (with some really scratched up CDs giving me trouble. The blessing of siblings), I'm just not getting it. I'm not sure how to use Metaflac. In order to rip to FLAC, I incorporated the source into EAC to rip to level 8 FLAC. Not sure how to run metaflac. I have the exe but it doesn't appear to be a standalone program.

May 20, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they have clipping in the original recording, Mp3Gain won't remove the clipping - it will only reduce the volume of it (as well as everything else).

Bet you missed the topic.
Cause MP3Gain are of no use on FLAC files...
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure how to use Metaflac.
*snip*
Not sure how to run metaflac. I have the exe but it doesn't appear to be a standalone program.

It sure is a standalone program. But it don't have a GUI, so it needs to be run from a command line. I think its called "MS Prompt" in MS Windows.

See the metaflac documentation for general usage commands.
http://flac.sourceforge.net/document..._metaflac.html

May 21, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 11
well, by clipping I mean audible distortion. Not sure if I'm using the right term here. For example, certain notes break up and buzz. I find this usually goes away after using MP3Gain on those files. But now I'm worried about FLAC.

May 21, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 11
Sorry guys, I'm still very confused about this. The process through MP3Gain was simple. I would load up my mp3 files and apply a 'trac' gain' of 89dB to each. For entire albums, I would apply an 'album gain' of 89dB. Is there any sort of interface similar to it? MP3Gain, is a program that applies ReplayGain from my knowledge, and is easily reversible. Are there any programs like this for FLAC? An user-friendly interface with similar ways of applying ReplayGain?

May 21, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks Sketch. I actually figured it out last night. Would've been nice if it applied the tag without needing support from specific players. It's not like I'm going to use anything besides foobar anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back