Flac format in Sony NWZ-X?
May 12, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #17 of 26
One more question. In EAC, under Actions, I can choose "Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet" and then if I want the image to be compressed or uncompressed. But how can I use the CUE sheet, if I choose compressed (in this case, the FLAC format)? If I try to mount the .cue file, I get an error saying something along the lines of: "Could not mount image file. WAVE format invalid." (It's in Danish - this is a direct translation).

Edit: I just realised this might not be the correct forum or even the correct thread, but I sincerely hope you will answer my question after all..
normal_smile .gif

May 12, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

If I try to mount the .cue file, I get an error saying something along the lines of: "Could not mount image file. WAVE format invalid."

That's because daemon tools doesn't support FLAC yet. You can decompress FLAC to WAV and mount a new .cue, or you can load your .cue to some player like winamp, foobar2k etc.

May 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you to use AAC instead of legacy MP3's, it is free both for dbpoweramp and foobar2k, and it produces better sound than mp3 does on the same bitrates.

Is this a fact? Interesting info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Walkmans do support AAC since removal of Atrac3plus support.

If AAC is supported, then I gather Apple Lossless (ALAC) as well?

May 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #20 of 26
No. ALAC has nothing to do with AAC. I blame stupid media people about common disinformation like this as I have seen many of them refer to AAC as Apple Audio Codec.

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), developed by Fraunhofer IIS, AT&T Bell, Dolby, Sony and Nokia; and is an ISO standard.

ALAC, proprietary lossless audio codec developed and owned by Apple.

May 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALAC, proprietary lossless audio codec developed and owned by Apple.

rolleyes.gif
nevermind.

May 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #22 of 26
Ah, okay - but then I can't use the .cue I made when compressed the audio to anything? I will have to make a new .cue file, if I choose to decompress flac to wav?

Secondary question: What is the advantage of a .cue file in any case?

May 18, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #23 of 26
No comments??

I have also now converted the first files with dBpoweramp, and even though I tell it to convert to AAC, it gives the files an m4a ending. Why is this, and will I still be able to playback the files e.g. on an NWZ-X1000?

May 19, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xavis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No comments??

I have also now converted the first files with dBpoweramp, and even though I tell it to convert to AAC, it gives the files an m4a ending. Why is this, and will I still be able to playback the files e.g. on an NWZ-X1000?

I use dBpoweramp too. Don't worry, it always gives them an m4a ending, and yes, they play on the Sony.

May 20, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #26 of 26
Hi,MP4/MP4a are mulimedia container format for Vid & Audio files,like a VOB for DVD-Video etc(will hold .aac,& etc etc).
I tried with dbpoweramp with the .acc codec(have to install Nero ACC codec as well,didn't show all files in folder as per dbpa instructions,thou,but Vista?),with Vista it seemed to work,but file wouldn't play on Sony 829.Looking at Sony manual,it only shows AAC-LC with file extension MP4/MP4a etc ie in a container.Using dbPoweramp MP4a codec,converts & plays with Sony 829,& shows up as AAC in details.
So it looks like you want ACC-LC,but in container MP4/MP4a format ie not just a prog that converts to .acc etc.
Even MP3 is really,MPEG1 ie Audio Layer 3.How confusing it can be at times
regular_smile .gif

Cheers BOB

ps AAC-LC plays OK,wonder if it hit 400kbs thou(ain't seen a 400kbs file yet,even with VBR 400kbs),it would play perfectly?(says ACC-LC max 320kbs in manual).
Also ACC or MP3 &/what bit rates?Never easy
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back