Flac format in Sony NWZ-X?
May 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

xavis

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have two questions:

1) I was wondering, if any of you could tell me, if the Sony NWZ-X Series comes with support for the flac format?

2) I can see that the NWZ-X supports Linear PCM. What exactly does that mean and what can it be used for?

Thank you!
Xavis

May 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

I can see that the NWZ-X supports Linear PCM. What exactly does that mean and what can it be used for?

It could mean plain uncompressed .wav files (you can get such by running `flac -d "sometrack.flac"').

May 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 26
well i can actually tell you that i have tested wav files, converted from flac's with a sony a828 and it didn't sounded bad
wink.gif

since x1000 supports the same formats i think it should play rather well uncompressed wav
biggrin.gif
although i doubt it you'll notice any difference
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 26
The negative being that uncompressed wav are rather large of course.

May 6, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 26
Penartur -> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "running `flac -d "sometrack.flac""

Okay, so it is not possible to playback flac (or any other lossless format - besides .wav?) directly..damn..then I have to make both a flac and an mp3 copy of my cd collection.. :p

May 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe u can box rocks that

Lol. Word confusion win. I like that. Box rocks.

May 7, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xavis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is possible to create .wavs from .flacs, it must also be possible to create .mp3s from .flacs - but how to do this the easiest way??

dbpoweramp is goody.

May 7, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dbpoweramp is goody.

You have to pay for the mp3 converter now. It used to be free until I downloaded it
mad.gif

May 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 26
I suggest you to use AAC instead of legacy MP3's, it is free both for dbpoweramp and foobar2k, and it produces better sound than mp3 does on the same bitrates.
Walkmans do support AAC since removal of Atrac3plus support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back