Flac files
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

8140david

100+ Head-Fier
If you have an mp3 personal copy of a CD, you most often can find all the appropriate tags using PsychicMP3.
What if you have a flac personal copy of a CD? How can you find on the internet the proper tags (artist, album, title, to be displayed later on Foobar, say) when you only have the flac encoding? (I mean: in a (semi-)automatical way.)

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 15
Check out MediaMonkey » Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter

It's what I use for mass tagging.

foobar2000/Winamp aren't shabby at it either, but aren't as good as MediaMonkey, IMO.

Also, if you're ripping a CD with EAC (Exact Audio Copy), it allows you to connect to freedb in order to get metadata for your CD which it will write properly while ripping if you have EAC properly set up with FLAC's external options.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out MediaMonkey » Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter

Thanks, I just tried it. It's a start.
But it doesn't do what PsychicMP3 is able to do with MP3 files: most often, PsychicMP3 retrieves the correct tags for an MP3 personal copy of a CD. While MediaMonkey is wrong at least half of the time with my flac files.
For doing the tagging on my own, I use the free program MP3tag, which is very good.
Here, I am looking for a way to retrieve the information on internet easily when the starting point is flac files.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I just tried it. It's a start.
But it doesn't do what PsychicMP3 is able to do with MP3 files: most often, PsychicMP3 retrieves the correct tags for an MP3 personal copy of a CD. While MediaMonkey is wrong at least half of the time with my flac files.
For doing the tagging on my own, I use the free program MP3tag, which is very good.
Here, I am looking for a way to retrieve the information on internet easily when the starting point is flac files.

Sounds like you need to find out which database PsychicMP3 connects to (likely a freedb node) and force MediaMonkey or another program to point to that database, honestly.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 15
Use a CD ripper with FreeDB, MusicBrainz, or similar support.
WHich will then tag your files when you rig to FLAC.

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ +1 with mp3tag and yes, it works with flac. connects to amazon to retrive tag info. usually there's a list of artist / tag info.

Thanks! I hadn't noticed. It works rather well, with various possible databases and options.
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ea...5/#post5316393

Thanks.
Clearly, getting the tags when ripping the cd (with EAC for instance) is the easiest.
But my question is not how to find tags when you have the original cd with you.
It is how to find tags when you're left only with the flac endoing of a cd, without the appropriate tags.
As said above, MP3tag dos quite a good job in that case, though still not as good as PsychicMP3 was doing for MP3s. Probably because PsychicMP3 was able to access simultaneously several databases and was optimized for finding tags. While MP3tag only accesses one database at a time (and moreover can access only few databases).

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use a CD ripper with FreeDB, MusicBrainz, or similar support.
WHich will then tag your files when you rig to FLAC.

I do the same. Rip them with EAC -and use the freeDB support to get tags- and turn them into FLAC with Flac Frontend. It writes the tags in the process.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 15
You can try Tag & Rename. It allows you to do almost anything with your MP3, APE or FLAC files. Among other things, you can renaming the file based on the tag, tagging the file based in the name, retrieving info from amazon or freedb (including CD front),etc. For me is the best when you have already encoded files.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
But my question is not how to find tags when you have the original cd with you.
It is how to find tags when you're left only with the flac endoing of a cd, without the appropriate tags.

Sounds a bit dodgy... Either way, what's wrong with using the foobar masstagger script, or the official freedb tagger bundled with foobar2k?
the script should be more than enough unless your collection is unorganised...

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 15
I use and would highly recommend Jaikoz Audio Tagger. It leverages the musicbrainz database and can find the tag for *most* audio files based on file name, tag info or acoustic ID. It is suitable for all sorts of collections (singles or albums) and I have found it to be fairly customizable as well. The only complaint that I have is that the album covers it downloads are low resolution.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by abejaruco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try Tag & Rename. It allows you to do almost anything with your MP3, APE or FLAC files. Among other things, you can renaming the file based on the tag, tagging the file based in the name, retrieving info from amazon or freedb (including CD front),etc. For me is the best when you have already encoded files.

I love T&R, heh I bought the latest one!

It can find tags via freedb, but also tracktype.org and many amazons. You can then edit the tags to suit.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ +1 with mp3tag and yes, it works with flac. connects to amazon to retrive tag info. usually there's a list of artist / tag info.

For the moment, this is the best option for me. It can connect to several databases. And I don't need to have yet another program...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back