Flac errors in Foobar
Aug 2, 2005 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Claus1100xx

500+ Head-Fier
After I get done ripping my CDs in Flac format and want to play them in foobar- I always get errors like

FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_FRAME_CRC_MISMAT CH

or something similar stating "header mismatch". Anything I can do about that or did I do something wrong when ripping them? The music quickly stops after such an error and resumes again. Very very annoying.
blink.gif

HHEEELLLPPP

Aug 2, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 17
seems like you did something wrong when ripping them

FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_FRAME_CRC_MISMAT CH means the frame's data did not match the CRC

FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC means there is an error in the stream that is causing the decoder to lose sync

How did you rip them?
try ripping them again

Aug 2, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 17
Yes, you can use a better ripper, like EAC.

Aug 2, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
EAC is actually what I use with the flac external decoder
blink.gif

help my scratched CDs

Are you using Secure mode? Make sure you are, and not Fast or Burst mode. If you ARE using Secure mode, try re-ripping those tracks again using Burst mode, every now and then that'll work a bit better.

Aug 2, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
Are you using Secure mode? Make sure you are, and not Fast or Burst mode. If you ARE using Secure mode, try re-ripping those tracks again using Burst mode, every now and then that'll work a bit better.

I'll have to try that. Up until now I have only used toothpaste for holes in the wall!

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 17
Also, try a different drive if you have another one.

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Also, try a different drive if you have another one.

yeah I tried ripping them on both drives and on the one drive EAC just dies after a while of ripping into the scratches. I thought there might be an option in EAC to uncheck for it to ignore scratches or do something with it.

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipinder
seems like you did something wrong when ripping them

FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_FRAME_CRC_MISMAT CH means the frame's data did not match the CRC

FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC means there is an error in the stream that is causing the decoder to lose sync

How did you rip them?
try ripping them again

All this talk about ripping correctly is missing the point.

The FLAC decoder could care less how you ripped the data in the first place. Even a horrible rip comressed to FLAC should playback w/o the FLAC decoder throwing errors.

What the first error indicates is that the resulting compressed audio data stored in the FLAC file has changed somehow from when it was first encoded. The second seems to indicate that the data stream providing the flac data is getting mangled, or dropping off completely.

So either:
a) bad hardware is causing data to be corrupted (there are a variety of ways this could happen)
b) The foobar decoder software is having issues

First thing I would do is reboot and re-install the latest version of foobar.

Second, I would verify this problem exists repeatably, does it error out in the exact same spot in each file? Does this problem occur in the same way if the same file is played on a different computer?

If you can trace this to a hardware issue, you might try running a SMART utility against the hard drive to see if it is showing signs of impending failure. You also might run a memory test (like http://www.memtest86.com/) to see if you have a bad memory module. If the files are stored on a networked or external (usb/firewire) drive, issues could exist there as well. Any chance you are playing back these files over a wifi network? Could be you are intermittantly losing connection in the middle of playback.

Hopefully this isn't a hardware issue, and just one of software not working correctly!

Good luck.

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 17
I'll check that out - they have been streaming from my hard drive and it could be some hard drive issues. It's been giving me some headaches lately - especially when I did a clean install of windows. Will report on the findings when I get back. Thanks for all the input so far.
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 17
allright hard drive is perfect, but the ram is over the hill. memtest produced nothing but errors. Tested it with an old ram stick and it runs perfect. Could that be the crux of why foobar is throwing me those errors?
It might explain why the system is randomly rebooting.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back