flac error in winamp 5 but not foobar?
Sep 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

joe2

New Head-Fier
i downloaded the official 24bit (USB limited edition) versions of the beatles discography but about half of them give me an error in winamp 5 and the flac tester. i have 3 options:
figure out how to adjust winamp to ignore the error
figure out how to re-encode them so they don't have errors without losing data (e.g. without changing to mp3 or lower detail)
use foobar or vlc to play them, both of which ignore the error and play them flawlessly.

i don't really like foobar, it's lacking a few small details that i like so i prefer winamp.

i uploaded a sample here:
http://www.joe.to/share/music/17%20-%20Her%20Majesty%20(2009%20Digital%20Remaster).flac
as you can test, it has an error in the flac tester, and winamp 5 (at least on my pc) refuses to play it, but foobar and vlc have no problem with it.

any help? this is probably too specific/technical for an internet forum but i can't find anything useful online

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 3
It's probably because of the tags. You can remove the tags in Foobar. I think it's because ID3v2 tags aren't suppose to work with flac files.(don't quote me on that as I'm not entirely sure that that is the case) Anyways, after I removed the tags the file worked properly for me in winamp, so I would give that a shot if I were you.

Edit: Removing the tags can be done in foobar by selecting Properties > Tools > Remove tags

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 3
You can rewrite the tag in foobar, too. Select all of them -> Shift+Right Click on them (shift is needed if you use foobar newer than 1.0, the entry you need to use is hidden by default otherwise) -> Tagging -> Rewrite file tags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back