Flac copy time with EAC
Feb 27, 2007 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Pm@c

500+ Head-Fier
EAC.jpg

I have had a problem before (ill post a picture later) of having over an hour of rip time. This is using Shift + F5, normal copying. Shift + F6 does the Test + copy, which someone suggested, but the test and copy takes over an hour for me. Is the 20-25 minutes its taking me for just copying normal of flac? I know my PC takes about 3 minutes to rip to 128, but flac is pretty much uncompressed and EAC needs to do error checking so perhaps 20-25 minutes is normal?

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 28
The process of ripping and the process of encoding are two totally separate things. Generally the ripping process takes far longer than the encoding process, so it should not matter whether you are encoding to mp3 or flac.

Usually the speed of the rip depends on the drive, and the CD. If the CD has copy protection, goings actions -> TOC alterations -> retrieve native TOC can sometimes help.

Its well worth using test & copy, because you can check the test produced the same CRC as the copy. Even if you get no errors during the rip, the CRC's can sometimes mismatch....

If you are really concerned about speed, you can always try using burst mode with test and copy. If the CD is new, you can still get a perfect rip this way, but it will be much quicker. For older CD's, you should stick it on secure mode. There is a reason EAC takes longer to rip with this than most other rippers, its using superior error correction.

For me, most rips on secure mode with test & copy take 15-20 minutes. You dont need to watch over it while its ripping. Do something else, make yourself a brew
smily_headphones1.gif

use this link to set up EAC to rip properly:
http://jiggafellz.isa-geek.net/eac/

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 28
I have followed that guide to the fine points. In other words (EXACTLY!). So something isnt right. BTW my drive is 52x. Why is it copying at 2.4x isntead of 52x... it should be like 5 minutes... I think I should just set all settings to default and forget that guide.. it just made my music ripping longer.

Oh and Im playing FFXI while ripping my music right now, but it still shouldnt take 25 minutes. It should be 5 minutes.

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 28
So identical setups of EAC ripping the same CD to FLAC takes twenty five minutes, and ripping to MP3 takes three? Well in that case the obvious answer is that there is something wrong with the FLAC encoding process. Try downloading and installing FLAC again.

However since you are complaining about the ripping times (as evidenced by the slow read rate in the image), I rather suspect that the problem lies elsewhere.

Other things to check/note:
- Is the drive in PIO or DMA mode? PIO mode is slow as molasses.
- How scratched is the disc? In secure mode, scratches will cause EAC to re-read a frame of data until it gets a match to a previous read. This can drastically affect how long it takes to rip a CD.
- Running other processes (such as a game) while ripping WILL affect how long it takes. If you want fast rips, don't play games at the same time.
- 52x is a Maximum speed, which is only attainable on the outer-most tracks of a CD. The first song on a CD, because of its physical location at the inner tracks on the disc, cannot be ripped at the drives maximum speed.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 28
Ripping and album with EAC compressing with FLAC.exe takes ~5 minutes on my computer.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 28
The problem is not with the FLAC encoding, but with your CD reader. The stated reading speed of the drive really doesn't have much to do with ripping speed in EAC. I'll go out on a limb and guess that you have a Lite-On drive. I have lots of different drives in different computers, and by far the slowest of them is my (52x) Lite-On.

In the image you attached, EAC is only reading at 2.3x real time, which is really really slow, and the CD is almost 70 minutes long. So you've got like half an hour of ripping time plus encoding to FLAC, so I would guess the whole job would take up to about 35-40 minutes.

Even with a very fast CD reader (like my Plextor PX-230A), ripping in secure mode only happens at about 8-10x real time.

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 28
It takes me usually about an hour or more per cd, since I do Test and Copy, and I disable cache and use NO C2 error correction. This way, though, I know I'm getting 100% perfect rips. Also I detect gaps, write out a cue sheet, correct for drive read offset, etc.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It takes me usually about an hour or more per cd, since I do Test and Copy, and I disable cache and use NO C2 error correction. This way, though, I know I'm getting 100% perfect rips. Also I detect gaps, write out a cue sheet, correct for drive read offset, etc.

All of this should be done with any drive, IMO, except for detecting gaps (I don't see the point in that, as ripping to separate tracks takes care of that anyway). Still, an hour per CD is such a long time that I would seriously get a different drive capable of both high quality audio CD reading and good speed. It sounds like you must also be getting very low average read speeds in EAC with your drive.

I don't use Test and Copy either, but rather one rip with EAC + AccurateRip and another with PlexTools Professional. Then I compare the results with fb2k. It's a time consuming process, but at least my PX-230A is an extremely reliable and very fast drive. In the hundreds of CDs I've ripped with this drive (many of them purchased used and in bad condition in many cases), I've never once gotten a bad read with PlexTools Professional. On a few badly scratched discs, it has reported some errors, but then I've gone through my Brasso and buffing process to repair the discs and subsequent rips have generated perfect results. Interestingly, EAC has quite often yielded imperfect rips even with the most secure settings and no errors reported.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 28
It highly useful to detect gaps and make a cuesheet, for burning purposes. But yeah, its not useful otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaska
Interestingly, EAC has quite often yielded imperfect rips even with the most secure settings and no errors reported.

yeah, i mentioned that above that test & copy CRC's sometimes dont match up even with no errors reported.

I also have a plextor (PX-55a, or something like that) drive and like using plextools XL. However, I find it easier just to do test & copy with EAC. As I said, you dont have to sit their and watch the rip happen, you can do other things while its taking place!

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 28
It took me over an hour to rip CDs when I used an ancient Imation CD drive. I switched to an NEC (3550 or something like that) and it improved a fair amount, but the drive had problems with scratched CDs and, in secure mode, still took about 20 mins per CD. Since I've owned Plextor's 760 and 740, I've had almost no problems with scratches, and rip times are usually about 13 mins for test+copy in secure mode. Huge improvement.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradofan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It took me over an hour to rip CDs when I used an ancient Imation CD drive. I switched to an NEC (3550 or something like that) and it improved a fair amount, but the drive had problems with scratched CDs and, in secure mode, still took about 20 mins per CD. Since I've owned Plextor's 760 and 740, I've had almost no problems with scratches, and rip times are usually about 13 mins for test+copy in secure mode. Huge improvement.

Judging by the times most of you get, I would say that I got really lucky with the drive I bought. It's a random Samsung DVD+R/W that I bought because it was black and fairly cheap (OEM). It didn't come with anything but a driver disk. I reach 14x (that's total speed of the rip) on an album routinely in EAC with secure mode.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 28
Over the summer the motherboard on my ripping computer went out. Prior to that I had some rips on bad cds run on the settings suggested above for 12-15 hours (overnight & beyond), sometimes with no success. After I replaced the motherboard & CPU 2.4ghz P4 (and nothing else) with an AMD 3800+ I got rips on the same cds in 10-15 minutes. It didn't even much matter the quality of the cds at this point. This suggest to me processor speed helps the most.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 28
Umm does an AMD 4800+ X2 (dual core) + 2GB RAM help? Well thats what I have and its still 20-25 min. Im thinking it has to be my CD drive or some setting somewhere, because the max speed it reachs is like 2.4x. It should be 10-15X like some people have suggested here. How do I switch the CD drive to PIO or DMA? Someone asked what my drive was set to, how do I check and how dod I change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back