FLAC compatible DAP for 75$?
Oct 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PhoxHound

100+ Head-Fier
I love my zen V plus, but my FLAC files won't play on it. so my criteria are:

sounds good (duh)
no more than 75$ US
FLAC compatibility
Windows compatible (preferably can be used with Winamp)

as far as storage I'd say 2GB is a minimum. photo/video/radio/whatever other weird features people like are irrelevant.

currently thinking about 4GB Meizu Mini.

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 13
it supports flac now? lmao. i have a clip and i didnt even know. o well, i dont use flac on-the-go anyways.

and the clip sounds great!

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 13
They're the same to my ears, and from what I've read, it seems most people who have used both agree.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoxHound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
last question: would the Fuze have better SQ than the Clip?

I'm pretty sure they have the same audio chip, so they should sound exactly the same. If either of them sounds better to any degree whatsoever, though, it would probably be the Clip because there's less junk packed into it, but it would be such a small difference even a true audiophile would be hard pressed to find it.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 13
If you seriously can hear the difference between a FLAC file and a LAME 3.98 encoded mp3 at the Insane setting (320 Kbps) you need to get a job as a Mastering Engineer. I really can't believe most if not all the people that go around saying yes they can hear the difference between those two particular encodings (FLAC at any compression level is still the exact same sound vs LAME 3.98 Insane), I just don't believe it.

I think, and this has been proven in my own experience too many times, that people train themselves to say "Yes, I can hear a difference" because the sheer number of people that make the claims is a bit unbelievable in itself.

I've always been of the mind that if you want CD quality on the go, get a PCDP and some nice headphones (Koss KSC-75 ftw on the go!) and have at it.

But, I'm simply astonished by the sudden wave of "GOTTA GO FLAC" that's permeating the community these days. A lot of us - myself included - have been using FLAC and other lossless formats for nearly a decade now, the rest of the world is just catching up with us it seems, and it's the hip new cool thing.

I don't get it personally, and while I know my ears aren't nearly as good as a recording or mastering engineer's ears, I do know that for on the go listening LAME 3.98 Insane - or even Ogg -q6 - sounds absolutely fan-freakin-tastic to these ears of mine through my modded KSC-75s.

I think most people just keep telling themselves they can hear a difference and their unconscious minds are simply making it happen, but that's just me I suppose. Of course, I've been participating in these types of debates since HydrogenAudio first went online in it's old format and still do...
wink.gif

The 4GB Fuze can be found for about $80 these days, and offers microSD support so, with 16GB microSDHC cards on the market relatively cheap, you can always add more capacity at any time. And if you're planning on lugging FLACs around, you're gonna need it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 13
I did the update on my 4GB clip yesturday and loaded up some FLAC files for testing and it works perfectly!

CircuitCity (US Retail Chain) had them on sale and I believe still does, so for $60 you get a 4GB flash based player that supports MP3/OGG/FLAC with excellent sound quality. The Fuze is said to be the same sound quality, but bigger capacity and physical size..
biggrin.gif

I am eargerly awaiting those new 8GB clips I keep hearing about...

-Robert

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Average /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you seriously can hear the difference between a FLAC file and a LAME 3.98 encoded mp3 at the Insane setting (320 Kbps) you need to get a job as a Mastering Engineer. I really can't believe most if not all the people that go around saying yes they can hear the difference between those two particular encodings (FLAC at any compression level is still the exact same sound vs LAME 3.98 Insane), I just don't believe it.

I think, and this has been proven in my own experience too many times, that people train themselves to say "Yes, I can hear a difference" because the sheer number of people that make the claims is a bit unbelievable in itself.

I've always been of the mind that if you want CD quality on the go, get a PCDP and some nice headphones (Koss KSC-75 ftw on the go!) and have at it.

But, I'm simply astonished by the sudden wave of "GOTTA GO FLAC" that's permeating the community these days. A lot of us - myself included - have been using FLAC and other lossless formats for nearly a decade now, the rest of the world is just catching up with us it seems, and it's the hip new cool thing.

I don't get it personally, and while I know my ears aren't nearly as good as a recording or mastering engineer's ears, I do know that for on the go listening LAME 3.98 Insane - or even Ogg -q6 - sounds absolutely fan-freakin-tastic to these ears of mine through my modded KSC-75s.

I think most people just keep telling themselves they can hear a difference and their unconscious minds are simply making it happen, but that's just me I suppose. Of course, I've been participating in these types of debates since HydrogenAudio first went online in it's old format and still do...
wink.gif

The 4GB Fuze can be found for about $80 these days, and offers microSD support so, with 16GB microSDHC cards on the market relatively cheap, you can always add more capacity at any time. And if you're planning on lugging FLACs around, you're gonna need it.
biggrin.gif

my MP3s are definitely not encoded in LAME 3.98 Insane because they kinda blow.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Average /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Listen for the cymbal clangs... MP3 will sound muted compared to lossless. But that's in my home system, not portable and on the street.
I wish that alone makes me qualify for mastering
tongue.gif

For portables, I (and maybe other people too) choose FLAC-compatible only because I don't need to re-rip my songs (and then keep both copies in my harddrive). I don't mind MP3 quality on the go really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back