FLAC and Lame
Oct 24, 2004 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
I am thinking about switching from keeping everything backed up as wavs to flacs. I just ripped one disc, and it saved about 25% space. Is this normal? I am using EAC, set up as this guide says, using the command line "-8 -T "title=%t" -T "artist=%a" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s" that I saw somewhere on headfi.

What is the best way to convert from FLAC to --alt-preset extreme mp3s; and will they sound as good as if converted from wavs?

If I burn CDs with Nero using FLACs instead of WAVs, will they sound the same?

Oct 24, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
I am thinking about switching from keeping everything backed up as wavs to flacs. I just ripped one disc, and it saved about 25% space. Is this normal? I am using EAC, set up as this guide says, using the command line "-8 -T "title=%t" -T "artist=%a" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s" that I saw somewhere on headfi.

Depending on music, it's normal. Relatively quiet classical music may compress with good ratios (less than 40%) easily, but loud and squashed pop/rock whatever may compress poorly (I get about 60-80% ratios).

Quote:

What is the best way to convert from FLAC to --alt-preset extreme mp3s; and will they sound as good as if converted from wavs?

Not sure about best, but I use Foobar2000 for transcoding (diskwriter does the job). Yes, they will sound as good (when FLAC is decoded back to PCM data in the process, it will be bit identical to the WAV).

Quote:

If I burn CDs with Nero using FLACs instead of WAVs, will they sound the same?

Same applies here (you probably need a plugin for Nero that takes FLAC as input files).

Oct 24, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
Not sure about best, but I use Foobar2000 for transcoding (diskwriter does the job). Yes, they will sound as good (when FLAC is decoded back to PCM data in the process, it will be bit identical to the WAV).

How do I make it just keep the current file name? It was adding 001, 002 ect to them.

edit: it looks like I fixed it by changing the line to "%_filename%".

Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
Same applies here (you probably need a plugin for Nero that takes FLAC as input files).

FLAC comes with the Nero plugin.

Oct 24, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken
Why not apple lossless? You have an ipod man...

from eac to alac guide

Flasken, you bring up a good alternative which I overlooked. If I converted to alac, I would be able to delete all my mp3s. However, my iPod is filled just with mp3's, so there is no room for lossless. In addition, my headphone jack is cracked, and I don't know how much longer it will hold up (maybe 6 months).

edit: And I should mention, I calculated the space saved from converting what I have currently to FLAC (and keeping all my current mp3s for portable), and it will save me 30gb
eek.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 6
the best option for conversion from FLAC to any other lossless format would be
dbpower AMP music convertor. very versatile and fine piece of software and it is free too.
I would recommend getting lame 3.90.3 and 3.96.1 builds and utilise those.
ALternatively get the EAC-Audio setup pack which contains all the codecs in it.
I think it is commonly referred to as eac bundle and is currently in iteration version 1.4
a good job of some gr8 profile settings and an excellent choice of codecs pre configured.
has FLAC and MP3 settings setup for straight forward conversion.
Kunwar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back