FLAC -> ALAC conversion?
Aug 12, 2008 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Callous

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been asked before, but for the life of me, I cannot find an answer through the search function.

I have a whole ton of FLAC, and am thinking of getting a bit of it on my iPod via Apple Lossless. What is the ideal program for converting FLAC to ALAC?

Thanks everyone.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 31
I usually use foobar to convert them into wav files, then import them into itunes, then use itunes to convert the wav files to alac. Im sure there must be a program that can do the file conversion directly, but this has been working well for me now.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 31
I believe dbpoweramp can go directly from FLAC to ALAC.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 31
Thanks everyone, going to try out a few different methods and see which suits me best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you loose tagging when you convert to WAV?

Yeah, realized that once I got through a few albums. Method works perfect, except all tagging is lost.
frown.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 31
What's needed is a way to export tags, convert, and import them. It may exist, I don't know that much about tagging software. I use iTunes for the most part to edit tags.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe dbpoweramp can go directly from FLAC to ALAC.

x2 - it is assanine to use any other converter, especially when dbpoweramp processes batch files w/o restriction in its freeware version.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 31
I find Max to be perfect for this task.
* Easy to set up.
* Free (open source).
* Transfers metatags.
* Great UI (imo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back