Fixing Shure e2c cold weather damage
Mar 22, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynoure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you both.

I contacted Shure about this, but they didn't seem eager to help, maybe because I had bought mine (although unused and unopened) from Ebay. Currently I have them taped with electrician's tape but that tends to detach quite easily as this is the very part of the cable that bends the most.

Other than that I really like my Shures a lot. I go through the sleeves quite fast, though as I have lost 3 of them so far. I wonder if there is anything like a sleeve exchange program, I could give away M and L size ones in order to get more S-sized ones.

this may seem dishonest, but i would try again but without telling them you bought it from ebay. and that you lost the receipt. shure can tell how old the product it by the code on the jack. seems strange and out of character that they are not willing to help.

if not, the only re-cabling option would involve opening the casing on the buds themselves.

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

I contacted Shure about this, but they didn't seem eager to help

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224731

plainface.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 29
I just now got search hit on liquid electrician's tape in Finland. I'll give that a try, maybe it will hold where a spiralling strip of electrician's tape gets loose.

If that does not fix it for at least a reasonable time, I think I'll just try to replace them with something that does not have issues with freezing temperatures.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems from your thread that your biggest issue was that your E5s were out of warranty. If the original poster's E2s are in warranty, I would be shocked if Shure didn't replace them.

My biggest issue was actually that Shure could have asked from the beginning if my pair was or not still under warranty - they didn't. They suggested me to send them the earphone and then they let me wait for a month or so before sending them back to me (after a number of "what happens?" emails from me).

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

I just now got search hit on liquid electrician's tape in Finland. I'll give that a try, maybe it will hold where a spiralling strip of electrician's tape gets loose.

If that does not fix it for at least a reasonable time, I think I'll just try to replace them with something that does not have issues with freezing temperatures.

Silicone?

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 29
Do the IEM's work? My E4's cable insulation was coming off where they loop over my ear. I run with them in the cold.

I noted on their website that they recommended trying liquid electrical tape. I found some at Home Depot (as well as other hardware stores and boat stores). Comes in white, black, red and green. So far seems to do the trick although you can see where I did the repair.

This stuff dries quickly, but cures in 24hrs. Regular electrical tape looks bad and peels off. Don't know how this will work over years, but can always 'repaint' it as long as the cable itself is intact. If the cable isn't intact, you will probably have to replace the unit.

Lenny

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #24 of 29
lol so this is happening to my e2c's pretty bad... i tried heatshrink over the area but that is too stiff and just caused 2 more cracks in the plastic on either side of where i put the headshrink... no one re cables these besides shure huh? cause mine are out of warranty ive hard them for a good 3 years... and the warranty replacement is 50 bucks.... i only payed 65 to begin with....

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #25 of 29
So, is the UM1's cable that much more better than other similar priced IEM's cables? I have the exact same cracking on my E2Cs that I've owned for a little over a year now. Not only that, but I'm on my third extension cable for my pair of d-JAYS (which I've owned since ~December), and I've recently lost all sound in its left channel. I need IEMs that can survive a Canadian winter and the wear n' tear from long commuting hours!

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #27 of 29
hey i took your advice and just applied some liquid electrical tape too... at least if a break occurs in that we will be able to just put more liquid tape on it... the smallest bottle i could find is still huge... hahah

May 11, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #28 of 29
It seems the liquid electrician's tape lasted a bit less than two months before cracking and peeling. Not really longer than anything else I tried.

I have also noticed my IEMs getting a lot quieter. I wonder if these two are related.

May 11, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be in the minority, but I hate the Westone cable. It tangles far too easily.

I'm with you Febs, I love my UM2's, but Id love them even more if they used a shure cable. *puts on flame suit*
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back