Fixing my headphone cable
Jul 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DRuM

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. The right side of my Sennheiser HD580 headphones is intermittently cutting out. I can make it happen by jiggling the cable right near to the red fork connector. This is the second cable I bought about a year or two back as the same thing happened on the original cable too.  As they cost about £25 a go, can I do a repair on it by snipping it a few millimeters before the black cable meets the red fork terminal sleeve, cutting back the black cable sleeve to expose the wires and soldering? It's just the basic thin standard cable.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
You'll need to source new pins.

Ah. So how would I fit a new pin, do I snip off in the area of my photo within the yellow circle? Is the connection break where the wires touch the pin contact rather than some sort of wire break lower down in the black cable sleeve? Is there just one contact at the end of the connector that needs soldering? And where can I find an appropriate fork pin?

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 8
This must be the wrong place, I'll post in the cables forum.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Simmer down! give posts a couple days before bumping.

If it cuts out when you jiggle in that area just buy a new cable. They are like $20 from Sennheiser. 

Get the HD650 cable, it is built a bit better than the 580 cable and not much more expensive.

The guys in the cable forum will tell you to upgrade. Massively. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic, I actually thought I might have posted in the wrong forum since it's about cables. 
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice on the cable. So you basically thinking I'm wasting my time trying to fix it? Hmm, you're probably right.
The 650 cable looks to be double thickness which is good, but it looks like it goes to single thickness at the terminals? Not sure if that is any less prone to breaking than my current one.Still, it's actually a little bit cheaper than the 580 one from what I've found. But the prices in the UK are twice as much as the US, it's $40 here.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 8
I'd bet that your current cable is impossible to fix, unfortunately. 

The HD650 cable is a bunch more durable than the 580 cable. Its a little fatter at the terminals, if my memory is correct. Another way to justify it is that the 580 cable probably lasted about as long as (longer than?) some $40 headphones. Easy.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Ok then, you saved me the hassle of trying to source pins and then soldering. I'll buy a new cable. I'll have to be more careful this time so I can try and keep the new cable going for longer before I break it again.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back