fixing my computer.
Nov 29, 2003 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dweebgal

500+ Head-Fier
i am such a yutz sometimes, over the last few months my very stable computer has been getting more and more and more unstable, and today was the last straw, with it crashing/rebooting every 5 minutes, even when i was only doing something simple.

i had tried everything i could possibly think of to fix the problem, and i have had some very odd error messages, ranging from it being the fault of drivers, to my memory being corrupt, to there being 7gb of my drive lost to corruptions (which stangely enough was not corrupted again after a reboot!!)

as a last desperate mesaure today, i thought i'd move my sound card to another pci slot to see if that helped, and as i was opening up the case i had a look around and went "**** me that's a lotta dust!!!!"

i'd never looked properly before but the heatsink and fan were completley blocked up with dust, no wonder it was crashing a lot.

so, after spending about an hour dusting out the inside of my case, and removing almost 3 years worth of dust from my heatsink and fan, my computer is running a little bit faster, a lot quieter, and when running the same programs that made it crash before....it doesn't.

hurrah!!!

i'm not quite sure how it got so dusty in the first place....never mind...

Nov 29, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal
i'm not quite sure how it got so dusty in the first place....never mind...

With all the air that a computer sucks through while it's running, it's not surprising that it'll get dusty pretty quick. The computer kinda becomes a $1000 air filter, with the insides being the filter part.

I pull my computers apart at least once a year to blow all the dust out. In my case it's the power supply in the case that collects the most dust, when I blew that out with a vacuum cleaner set on reverse it filled the entire work room with a dense dust cloud.

Nov 29, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 16
My computer rip-roars the air and dust through it, there's no stopping, with my 7 80mm fans, 1 of which puts out 84cfm, it's madness,...it heats my room, literally
biggrin.gif
, it circulates all the air in my room in 40 minutes.

Nov 29, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 16
even though i only have the one fan in my pc, it does tend to heat my room, becuase i keep my door closed and have my pc on all the time, so my room is one fo the warmest in the house

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 16
I'm surprised that computer cases don't come with filters covering the air intake areas. I guess with the added drag, the fans would have to be considerably stronger and therefore noisier and more expensive.

Nov 30, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 16
If you clean the filters it really doesn't detract from cooling capability, Metal ones are supposed to be better, but I don't use any, I should.

Another easy fix for the dust thing is just to put a shirt or towel over the back of your pc, it's what I did, and it makes my Tornado (literally) quieter.

Nov 30, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 16
The side panels in my pc comes off with these 2 levers, and every now and then i clean it with a paint brush (clean one), will get some compress air soon to get the small parts.

And shouldn't clean it with a vacuum cleaner, and not a brush too really as they create static, and static kill Pc components.

Nov 30, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 16
well, the things i sued to get rid of my dust was a set of make up brushes.

i figure if they're soft enough for skin, they shouldn;t damage pc parts!!!

Nov 30, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 16
Good fans filters + positive case pressure (i.e. more airflow in than out) = little to no dust inside your PC

With a little calculation and planning dustless operation is just one part of a good PC. However, most OEM computers try to get away with as few fans as possible, generally resulting in negative case rpessure, which sucks in air (and dust, consequentially) through every hole and crack (no pun intended) in the PC case. One computer I seviced had two inches thick dust covering nearly all the insides, it was unbelieveable!

Nov 30, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 16
Speaking of dust...

My computer's fans were making godawful noises recently, so I turned it off, turned it on its side, and used a can of compressed air to clean it out. Got dust out of everywhere -- but turned the can over a little too far and sprayed some of that cold liquid all over the place. Didn't think anything of it. Turned it back upright, turned it on...

... poof. Black screen. No boot. I press reset; same thing. Turn the computer off by hand, then turn it on, and it boots, this time, into BIOS, where I'm greeted by an error that claims "Improper CPU Settings." The settings are proper. I reset to defaults just in case, and then I save/exit... and poof, black screen again. The cycle repeats, even after I attempt various fixes...

..so I just broke down and ordered a new motherboard, a new CPU, and a new power supply and RAM, to boot.
tongue.gif

Oh well. At least I get to upgrade...

- Chris

Nov 30, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 16
I wonder if some types of compressed gas are conductive in solid or liquid form... I doubt the cold would have any effect, but if it's conductive and you turned it on with some of the stuff still unevaporated that could do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back