Fixing Directsound?
Sep 18, 2005 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
I was running Windows XP on my machine. I got a nasty little piece of spyware that I couldn't remove (Hindsight is 20/20, I probably could have done a System restore and kill it, but I didn't think of that at the time.). So I make a partition on my second hard drive and install windows 2000, since I have like 15 Windows XP Pro CDs and none of them work right. My Windows 2000 CD always works and has the CD key written on it. [Disclaimer - All of my software is LEGAL, I get it from the MSDN Academic Alliance]. Once 2000 is installed, I pop in my Gigabyte motherboard driver CD and install all the drivers. Next I download DirectX 9.0c and Service Pack 4. Then I download and install the Realtek audio driver for the integrated soundcard and the KX Project drivers for my Audigy Platinum. I also download and install Irfanview, Trillian, and Winamp. I connect the Audigy to my reciever then open winamp. I hit play and it tells me MSVCP60.DLL is missing from like 4 directories. I put it where it belongs and fire up Winamp again. When I hit play, it tells me I have a bad Directsound driver. I do some research and find out that it's part of DirectX.

So after shouting and destroying things and cursing Microsoft, I figure, let's try a different PC. I go to another PC, this one is running Windows XP with Foobar, Winamp, and a TV tuner card. Ever since I installed the TV tuner card, half the time Winamp and Foobar give me a directsound error message. I figure I'll reformat it under 2000 and it will work. So I do, and I get all the drivers I need. This time I say "screw directx9 and service pack 4" and go straight to winamp. Again it bitches to me about the missing DLL.

I hate the sadistic jerk who designed this OS...

How do I fix directsound? Any good Linux distros for use as a media player? Compatability with an EMU 0404 (the card i'm expecting to buy in the next month or so) would be necessary.

Sep 19, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 2
Have you made sure that sound acceleration isn't turned off? Besides, Winamp can also use WaveOut just fine, or ASIO if you install the ASIO output plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back