fixing cd/dvd players
May 5, 2007 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KinesongPayaso

100+ Head-Fier
anyone here know a website that instructs one on fixing a cd player(discman?) or dvd players?

most I see have no pics, and they use technically specific terms/jargon that I have no idea what its talking about (Potentiometer?)

May 5, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Unless the problem is very basic, you can't fix a cd player without at least a passing knowledge of electronics. If talk about potentiometers and whatnot confuses you, the only result you're likely to achieve if you open up the player and fiddle with it is to damage it even more.

May 5, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the problem is very basic, you can't fix a cd player without at least a passing knowledge of electronics. If talk about potentiometers and whatnot confuses you, the only result you're likely to achieve if you open up the player and fiddle with it is to damage it even more.

im quite adept at electronics. I fix(not just replace parts) my own PC, open up remote controllers, and have made/assembled various electronics, including the soldering etc(clappers, power delay, multimeter)

im just having trouble identifying each part, its function(if its a really small and weird part) and it's name
especially something as sensitive as these devices

these are soon to be thrown away, and not worth sending over to the manufacturer or have some technician repair it.
im just playing around with it just for fun, without much expectations of fixing it

May 5, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 7
If you are adapt then get a service manual and go at it....you will also need an oscilliscope. What is a clapper?

May 6, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by KinesongPayaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im quite adept at electronics. I fix(not just replace parts) my own PC, open up remote controllers, and have made/assembled various electronics, including the soldering etc(clappers, power delay, multimeter)

im just having trouble identifying each part, its function(if its a really small and weird part) and it's name
especially something as sensitive as these devices

these are soon to be thrown away, and not worth sending over to the manufacturer or have some technician repair it.
im just playing around with it just for fun, without much expectations of fixing it

Oh, ok then.
Head over to forum.eserviceinfo.com and see if someone's already worked on your model. If there's no data available ask in the forum, they are usually very good at providing schematics and help.

May 8, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are adapt then get a service manual and go at it....you will also need an oscilliscope. What is a clapper?

oscilloscope? why would I need one, and where to get one? lol

i would just need a multimeter, screwdrivers, electricity, and patience

(turns appliances on and off; sound activated switch)
clappers are separate devices that werent integrated into your light fixtures, or fans, or TVs yet

appliances that have the clapper feature are already integrated in the appliance itself

what we made, is a stand alone clapper.
you just plug an appliance's wire plug in it's socket, then insert the clapper's plug to the wall socket

then clap away

clap on, clap off!

thanks for the link, fallingwater
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 7
Ohh that clapper....the oscope will be needed to align the laser for proper outut...it will also tell you if your spindel motor needs to be replaced. When you check the eye pattern and if have a bouncing waveform your spindel motor bearing is worn and needs to be replaced. Good luck with it! By t..the way..I got a nice 60meg oscope on ebay for $50 but be careful because there are many people selling them that have no idea how to check them...I got lucky. Also make sure you get a probe and ground connector with it otherwise that will set you back about $50 for a cheap new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back