Fixing 3.5mm jack
May 7, 2011 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

inarc

100+ Head-Fier
On my ipod touch and sansa clip+ both jacks are broken and only play mono on the right headphone due to bending. Any advice on how to fix them? Also if this helps, i would suppose that the cause was using them in my pocket while walking with my HD595s (HD5x5 owners you know how the 1/4>>1/8 Adapter is).

May 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Why not reterminate your HD595s with a mini plug then get a 1/8">>1/4" plug adapter?

If the jacks' tabs are not making good contact, try bending them inward a bit with a safety pin.
Aside from that, the ipod touch's jack is replaceable.  I don't know about the Clip, though.

May 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 4
Why not reterminate your HD595s with a mini plug then get a 1/8">>1/4" plug adapter?

If the jacks' tabs are not making good contact, try bending them inward a bit with a safety pin.
Aside from that, the ipod touch's jack is replaceable.  I don't know about the Clip, though.

How would I go about reterminating them? Just do like this thread says and cut the 1/4 then solder on the 1/8?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/195316/senn-hd595-recabling-question

May 8, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Yup.
You cut off the old plug, carefully cut away the outer jacket (~1" or a little less), then carefully cut away the insulation on each wire (~ about half as much as you cut away for the outer jacket), tin each wire (try not to leave any exposed copper), then add the plug casing and insulation, then you solder the wires to the plug.  Lastly, you slip on the insulation and screw on the barrel and test the headphone, make sure it works properly.  I then like to unscrew the barrel and add epoxy to seal the interior of the plug and finalize the thing.  It'll be a PITA to remove the epoxy if you find that you screwed up, so you do that at the very end after testing your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back