FIXED MY MOVE!!! Cleaning 1/8" (3.5mm) Jacks Might Revive Your Audio Gear
Jan 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

weeeeesquirrel

100+ Head-Fier
Probably been mentioned before... But I didn't find anything about it...

I have previously inquired about not so snug 3.5mm jacks on my Corda Move. Well, long story short... I got to thinking about it, and even though they are not vise grip tight, there is no reason why I should be experiencing static and/or channel loss even with light contact! So here is the solution!!! Break out the alcohol(rubbing that is, but if you need to take the edge off, Yukon Jack will kick your troubles to the curb) and grab a hand full of Q-Tips(must be cardboard shaft, plastic tube type will not work) and a cutting utensil of your choice(I used scissors). Now whether it be from manufacturing process, everyday environmental contaminates or insertion of dirty plugs... your media player, amplifier, etc... most assuredly could benefit from a good impurity cleansing.

First- cut off one end of Q-Tip making sure there is no cotton fuzz left behind. Don't want to leave any inside of jack! (Get about 12 ready per jack you intend on cleaning)

479610A5000C11A5000064F822155670740D0A04099B9D0A0D019D

Test your jack's clamping force with a dry Q-Tip prior to using alcohol soaked. This is IMPORTANT, the stronger the clamping force the less repetition allowed per Q-Tip. Once you feel shaft 'tearing-up' or you get excessive resistance discard immediately and use new Q-Tip!!! Now soak the freshly decapitated end of a Q-Tip(inch or so in depth) in your rubbing alcohol for 5 seconds or so. Hold on to fuzzy end of Q-Tip with one hand and hold your equipment in the other so the jack is facing straight down(this so we don't trap any debris and/or allow alcohol to go anywhere we don't want it to). Insert wet end of Q-Tip straight up into jack and move it in and out few times. Then repeat with a fresh Q-tip and this time rotate/twist it inside of jack. Lastly, use a dry shaft and perform both actions inside jack. The alcohol is to loosen contaminates and the 'dry step' leaves the shaft more abrasive and does a better job of scrubbing contaminates off. Repeat these steps, alternating between in/out, twist/rotate and dry shaft, until you don't see any more 'dirt' being deposited on Q-Tip shaft. 4 cycles seems to be magic number for 3.5mm jack.

479610A5000C11A5000064F822155670740D0A04099B9D0A0D019D

For 1/4"(6.3mm) jacks, I use regular 'fuzzy' tips but I select the ones that are 'wound' the tightest(the one in pic is DEFINITELY not wound tight). That way they are less prone to getting snagged or falling apart inside of jack while you are cleaning. Plus, if you leave any 'fuzzies' behind, it's nothing a little vacuum action won't take care of.

[size=small]Fixing my Move inspired me to give the rest of my equipment the same treatment... AND DAMN!!!!
biggrin.gif
Everything be sounding better than ever!!!!
biggrin.gif
[/size]

[size=xx-large]DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!![/size]
[size=xx-large]I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU FIGURE OUT A WAY TO SCREW THIS UP!!!![/size]

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 2
[size=xx-large]ALMOST FORGOT,[/size]
[size=xx-large]DON'T DO THIS WITH ANY JUICE IN YOUR STUFF!!!!![/size]
[size=xx-large]BATTERIES OR AC!!!!![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back