Fix for turntable
Feb 16, 2002 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

west

New Head-Fier
I just found a turntable (probably made around in 70's) it is a united audio turntable and the only other thing is says is "Dual 1228" and the cartridge says "XP 3 Grado" looks much like this
However it stopped working and now it won't spin.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it.

Feb 16, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I remember Dual turntables as being fairly well thought of for changers. If memory serve right, the turntable is driven by an idler wheel on its underside edge. The speed change lever switches between two different diameter sections of the motor drive shaft. The whole drive mechanism is held in position by one or more coil springs. Remove the center record pin (either the mechanical changer or the single play) and lift the turntable up. See if the motor shaft is rotating when the changer is switched on. Underneath the turntable, inspect and clean the idler wheel mechanism and see that the tension spring(s) is/are in place. The rubber idler wheel could be slipping, the rubber drive surface could be worn out, or the inside of the underside of the turntable could be greasy where the idler wheel to to bear and drive. Alcohol will degrease the parts, but it was famous for hardening the rubber drive surfaces of the idler wheel until they slipped. Good luck.

Feb 16, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm trying to remember and not confuse the mechanism with a Garrard or BIC. I have worked on all of them, but not in the last twenty years. First you have to remove the center pin that goes through the record center hole. The single play pin just pulls out, but the longer changer pin has to be pushed in and/or turned several degree before it will pop free. I thought the turntable would then just pull off, but you should look for a c-clip retaining it at center or a position of the speed change lever which free up the idler arm mechanism. The turntable motor is mounted out by the edge where it can drive the platter by means of the idler wheel mechanism. Hope this helps.

Feb 17, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Feb 17, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 7
I have a Dual 1228 around here somewhere.......I'll try and locate it tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back