Fix cut (separated) insulation on cable
Dec 28, 2015 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

suba3333

100+ Head-Fier
I accidentally cut in 2 places the plastic insulation of the right side wire of my earphones on the (sharpish) metal legs of my laptop tray/stand.  These cuts are all the way through the insulation (separation) but the wire seems ok and the sound is still working.  Is there a way of fixing this maybe superglue or even carefully melting the plastic bits over a flame to join them up again?  I think the most obvious would be taping the area but that will look pretty bad and eventually given the thinness of the cable the tape will slip off anyway. Shrinkwrap is also not workable.  I do not have any special tools maybe just leave as is and hope for the best?  Cheers.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 3
  I accidentally cut in 2 places the plastic insulation of the right side wire of my earphones on the (sharpish) metal legs of my laptop tray/stand.  These cuts are all the way through the insulation (separation) but the wire seems ok and the sound is still working.  Is there a way of fixing this maybe superglue or even carefully melting the plastic bits over a flame to join them up again?  I think the most obvious would be taping the area but that will look pretty bad and eventually given the thinness of the cable the tape will slip off anyway. Shrinkwrap is also not workable.  I do not have any special tools maybe just leave as is and hope for the best?  Cheers.

I would do electrical tape, even though it isn't ideal.  Melting the surrounding sleeve material is probably going to do more harm than good  You want to get something over the copper or it will oxidize.   An epoxy glue might also work, not sure if it would react with the copper though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back