Fix 5.5g iPod or buy new one?
May 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
The hard drive in my 80GB 5.5g iPod is clicking... and the battery life sucks. I was considering buying the 240GB drive/battery upgrade kit from Apricorn.com for $169 or buy a new Classic maybe even a new Touch...

What do you think? I dont necessarily need 240GB... 120GB would be enough but that kit is for the 30GB 5.5, not the 80GB.

This is not my primary source, as a matter of fact... I dont use it all that much. It would be amped with a BitHead and my Ety ER4S IEM's.

May 5, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 16
really.. no opinions on this after 53 views???

May 5, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 16
Try getting a used iMod?
tongue.gif
Don't get the Touch IMO. Overrated. Apps are boring after the 2nd or 3rd time you use them, awful UI imo (very boring).

May 5, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks stang.

My only issue with the iMod now is the $250 for the work THEN another $100+ for a iMod cable... Its just too expensive.

Buying a used one would likely put me into the same boat I'm in right now after a short period of time (replacing drive, battery, soemthing else)

So you would vote for either replacing my current HD or a new Classic I assume?

Are there any convincing arguments/feature updates in the new Classic vs the old 5.5g?

May 5, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 16
Newer classic looks better?
biggrin.gif
You are in a difficult situation, it seems. What I would do would save up for a bit and buy a used iMod and iMod cable or get the current iPod repaired with a new battery and 240GB hdd and later on get the iMod done.

May 5, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newer classic looks better?
biggrin.gif
You are in a difficult situation, it seems. What I would do would save up for a bit and buy a used iMod and iMod cable or get the current iPod repaired with a new battery and 240GB hdd and later on get the iMod done.

ok, thanks for the input... I'm leaning this way I think.

May 5, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 16
the classic is slimmer, has better battery life, has all the bells and whisles, not to mention tetris...

but you cant rockbox it or imod it, the 5.5 is the last of the "decent" from the classic line, hold on to it for as long as you can,

May 6, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 16
Keep it. If apple keeps rolling out Classics that have bad sound quality. You'll still have your 5g. And upgrading it is really worth it. A friend of mine got a 240GB in his ipod video. And it is awesome. Rockboxed it and now he has really alot of music with him.

May 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 16
First: how do you like the sound of your 5.5g? I really enjoyed mine. I bought the classic when it came out (the first 160gb model they released, so it's thicker) and really don't enjoy the sound as much as I did on the 5.5g. Also, all the "bells and whistles" that came with my classic resulted in a less responsive interface (perhaps they've sorted this with a faster processor since the first (6g) Classic. The 5.5g is MUCH snappier at browsing music for me.)

As such, I've hung on to my 80gb 5.5g and plan on eventually doing exactly that: upgrading to 240gb and replacing the battery. SQ I enjoy and enough capacity to tide me over for years to come. 

Never really thought about rockboxing it tho, interesting.

May 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 16
I've decided to give the 5.5g a second wind...

I bought a lightly used 80GB drive for $40 and a new battery from ipodjuice.com ($25) and picked up a new matte skin from Phantom Skinz. This should carry me for at least another year.

Thanks all for your opinions!!

May 7, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 16
You could always do the DIYMOD, or get it done for you for $150 from people besides Red Wine, a head-fier here does it...the $150 includes the LOD with capacitors, as opposed to RWA who charges ~$400 for it all...of course, you don't get the same guarantee as you would with RWA, but it may be worth it nonetheless...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back