Five hrs sleep in the past two days...
Apr 14, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
Nicely arranged, you natty syllabic hoofer. Gol' durn, you kin put'chur Gibbonesque thump in a sentence real nahce.

Wow, thanks for the kind words, but I wasn't trying to craft a well-turned phrase, as I have no gift for such things. I was just indulging myself with digital mumblings about what I felt to be were hard-won insights after several years of struggling with anxiety and depression.

Now that I've thoroughly derailed this thread, I may as well put this link out there for anyone who might be interested.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Apr 14, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #47 of 51
I used to have problems getting to sleep and staying asleep, and I tried alot, but nothing helped. It would take me awhile to fall asleep, then I would wake up every 2-3 hours. Then I figured out that it was my matress and got a new one, no problems now.

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #48 of 51
Chadbang,

I have finally realised the cause of my hearing music as I wake up - the birds outside my window. As they sing they set up a certain rythym (cadence), which my mind searches for and finds (matches) a melody which has the same timing. While they sing I hear their / my song.
biggrin.gif

The most glaring example of this is where I had written in my mind the most beautiful and perfect rap song. I awoke to find that it was caused by two crickets outside rubbing their fore legs back and forth.

Another time, a dream of flying saucers and their death rays were caused by a truck's flipper muffler idleing across the street.

Another time, I (unknowingly) slept by a babbling brook. I got absolutely no sleep that night.
frown.gif
The name of the motel? "The Babbling Brook Motel". I believe it was in Wyoming or Montana.

Are you sure that there are no extraneous noises causing your sleeplessness?

Jan 13, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know all about this sort of psychology (philosophy? spiritual principle?) but don't always put it into practice. The mind sometimes seems to enjoy masturbation as much as other body parts do...
icon10.gif

BTW, you said this: Just ignore the mind. Who is that that's ignoring the mind? Something apart or separate from the mind? Just curious about your response.

I know this thread is old and maybe your problem is solved (what a rhyme
biggrin.gif
) but:
Try falling aspeep listening to music! Rigur Rós or similar eerie type of music can help...

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #51 of 51
I have intended for a long time (it has been years :p ) to come back to this thread to say how much I appreciate the recommendation of the "Be Still & Know" meditation program.  I have listened to it hundreds or maybe thousands of times, and recommend it to all my friends. I was not as thrilled with some of his other content that I listened to, but the Be Still and Know audio is a classic.  His commentary outside of the short 10-minute meditation is just as valuable.
Thanks and best wishes always!
(Here's the link if you don't want to read through the thread to find it: http://www.fhu.com/meditation.html)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back