Five fun things to do in the Twin Cities Areasq
Jul 19, 2008 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
Since I'm moving there soon, I thought having a list of activities to do would be a good idea. I'm going to start these, but they'll be lame - given I don't know the area very well.

1. Visit the airport. It's quite a nice airport actually!
2. Visit the UMN East and West bank campus -very nice campuses. I quite enjoy walking around them.
3. Weisman Art Museum - Okay, if you like art.
4. Go to the Mall of America - Buy some stuff, and sell your soul
5. Walk along the Mississippi and enjoy the scenery. Beware the falling bridges.

Jul 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 15
Regarding restaurant recommendations:

_39760605_mcdormand_203.jpg

[size=large]"Is it reasonable?"[/size]

Jul 19, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding restaurant recommendations:

_39760605_mcdormand_203.jpg

[size=large]"Is it reasonable?"[/size]

Oh ya, you betcha!

That is my favorite movie.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I'm moving there soon, I thought having a list of activities to do would be a good idea. I'm going to start these, but they'll be lame - given I don't know the area very well.

1. Visit the airport. It's quite a nice airport actually!
2. Visit the UMN East and West bank campus -very nice campuses. I quite enjoy walking around them.
3. Weisman Art Museum - Okay, if you like art.
4. Go to the Mall of America - Buy some stuff, and sell your soul
5. Walk along the Mississippi and enjoy the scenery. Beware the falling bridges.

6. Science Museum of MN (great imax omnitheater)
7. First Avenue (Music Venue - the one in Purple Rain)
8. Grand Avenue, Saint Paul
9. Target Centre, Excel Centre, Metrodome (if you are in to Sports)
10. Some nice parks
11. Lake Minnetonka
12. Stillwater
13. Lake Superior - North shore

Just a few of the things I enjoyed in my time there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 15
If you have some free time, I would be tempted to go to Uptown (Lake & Hennepin) and go a little west on Lake to where there are a number of shops that rent decent bicycles and in-line skates. Pick your wheels and then ride the Lakes (Calhoun and Harriet) down to the Minnetonka Creek bike path and you can go east or west for quite a ways. The rental places will have maps and better suggestions. Just lovely this time of year.

Also the Minnesota Zoo down south in Eagan.

Hit one of the Granite City BrewPubs for dinner. If you hit the one out on Excelsior in St. Louis Park, you can also visit The Pavek Broadcast Museum (3515 Raleigh Ave. S., St. Louis Park, MN 55416) for old radios and broadcast equipment.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 15
You already have this on your list- shop till you drop at the Mall of America. What makes it even better is there's no sales tax on general merchandise but they charge you tax on food- the complete opposite of Michigan.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Arboretum
Renaissance Festival
MIA (Institute of Arts)

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerby1280 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes it even better is there's no sales tax on general merchandise

No sales tax on clothing (unless it's classed as sporting goods), prescription drugs and groceries; 6.5% on everything else, 9% on liquor.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 15
The Mall of America is kind of intense. I'm not a huge fan, probably because I hate shopping.
smily_headphones1.gif
Only go there if you are feeling energetic and have a nice comfortable pair of shoes on.

edit: Maybe check out a Twins vs anyone in their division (White Sox, Tigers, Indians, Royals) baseball game. I think it would be fun. Also it would be good to go to a Vikings vs Bears game or something when football season starts.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 15
We have two of my best friends coming to visit in November to go and watch the Vikings versus The Bears - so we're totally excited about that. We have pretty decent tickets, should be a lot of fun. We're going to go tailgating! First NFL game for my wife and I.

We won't arrive until September 7th or 8th, I don't know a lot about baseball will the Twins still be playing? It's a good idea if they still are. I hope to go to an NHL game or two while we're down in the Twin Cities.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've always disliked The Vancouver Canucks- more of a Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames fan so I will be very happy to be in Minnesota and cheering for The Wild! Sorry fellow Vancouverites!

I'm happy about the lack of sales tax. Our income is going to be halved for the first while we are down there, so the reduced tax is really going to help us a lot.

As a "House warming present" (we're renting, but still) my parents are going to buy us a big screen TV I think. Something in the range of 32-42"- keep us entertained during the long cold Minnesotan nights.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 15
Twins will be playing until at least the end of September. They will play in October if they make the playoffs. Congrats about the Vikings vs Bears tickets, that should be amazing. I am jealous.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's very nice of your parents. Make sure to get an HD source (I'm just saying..).
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 15
I don't know how it is in the Twin Cities area, but in Chicago we are all digital and Comcast has some weird packages. Basically, you can get their standard package, or add $40 for like twice as many channels. I'm not a big fan of it, because I only want a couple of the channels (Nat Geo, etc.) and I can't really justify another $40 for a couple channels that I want. Plus I have had terrible experiences with their billing and techs.

However, satellite might be a problem if you get a lot of snow and stuff.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 15
Maybe I should start a thread asking about cable vs satellite TV in the twin cities areas? With Quest, we can the phone plan we want, the internet we want, and the nearly best TV support for $104 / month. We have all of our family out of town, so for $20 for the basic phone and $20 for unlimited calling, isn't bad. It seems like a pretty good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back