Fitting IEMS
Oct 18, 2007 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Parisis

Head-Fier
I know this has been posted before but I share it in hopes of saving someone some aggravation.
I had just about given up on IEMS because of the fit and discomfort. I have Panasonic RJE50s and Creative Ep630 . I was scanning some threads recently and someone (Thank you someone!) mentioned that they raise ( pull up on the top of their earlobes) before inserting the phones. Nirvana, no pushing or twisting. Phones stay in and OMG real bass extension. Try it if you haven;t already. I'm dense.
Oh well there goes more money
280smile.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never had to pull down my ear lobes or pull up... Doesn't make a difference for me. They go in nicely for me

probably depends on earcanal size. i had to pull up the first time i used some iem's but after a while either the silicone loosened up or my ear adapted and haven't had to do it since.

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 13
Not only that but they should be inserted upwards at a 30-40 degree angle. That is the approximate angle of most people's canals. We are designed this way so water can drain out of our ears.

I had a heck of a time especially getting Etys to fit right until I inserted upwards and in.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 13
Yeah, when I first got IEMs, I would insert them straight into my ear canal at a 90 degree angle. One time when I pushed them up I think I actually said WOW! out loud. It was kind of embarrassing
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 13
I think foamies fit more easily. When you squish and push they mold to your ear canals. Perhaps the pulling-up method is essential for silicon tips especially bi- or triflange. I read about his on Headroom's website only recently.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 13
It can also help to open the mouth, and/or wiggle your ears, but people really stares when I pull my ear and open my mouth and fiddel with my ears...

Normally I just use violence and jam them in there...

If you are using coneshaped foamies and you loose the seal when wiggeling the ears or open your mouth, it also help to put the fat end in first..

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 13
I discovered somewhat of a revelation with my Sony MDRs (51, I think) - I now insert them upside down, pulling up and back on my ear, at a bit of an upwards angle. And because they are upside down, the tail thing doesn't get in the way of inserting them further in than I used to, which gives more isolation, better sound, whatever. And I can wear the cable over the ear, which increases comfort and reduces microphonics. Sweet!

Oct 19, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 13
I not only pull my ears but twist the phones while pushing until I get that underwater feel, THEN I know I've achieved good seal.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 13
I'll necro again and +1 for having a sticky on IEM fitting as it makes a HUGE difference. I suspect I may have oddly shaped canals as well as I have NEVER found tips that give me the same best sound I get when manually holding IEMs in place with a bit of pressure. Do custom molds solve this problem or just provide better seal and hold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back