Fitness headphones; in ear with ear hooks
Aug 25, 2023 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

stevehollx

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a headphone to replace my plantronic BBFIT that is dry rotting after 10 years of love. My only complaints with these phones are that the mic doesn’t noise cancel wind when on a bike ride when I need to take a call, and that they don’t have aptX support. AptX is not a deal breaker for a new purchase, though.

I had reconstructive surgery on an ear canal, so ear buds don’t work for me since the enlarged canal won’t hold buds without some external support. As a result, I need ear hooks to hold phones in place during workouts.

I can’t find ANY suitable replacements.

Requirements:
* open ear to hear surroundings
* over ear hooks
* suitable for fitness and sweating
* Sound good. Not expecting greatness.

I just tried the Shokz OpenRun Pro (bone conducting—low end was horrible and probably not loud enough), and Shokz OpenEar (did not fit in ears well).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 2
Wow 10 years is super impressive for a wireless set! (I would definitely lower expectations for current generation gear :grimacing:) FWIW it appears there's still a plantronics backbeat model available.

Will the kind of hooks ("wings" perhaps) that just press against the inside of the ear/concha work? If so I quite enjoy (and occasionally wear whilst cycling) the Sony Linkbuds (Donuts, not S), though I haven't tested the mic, nor worn them super sweaty. TBH they're a bit tough to recommend in terms of device functionality but personally find the form factor and openness make up for a lot of the frustration.

Another option might be old school earbuds with modular cable connection which enables adding TWS earhooks, BT neckband , or a cable with memory wire and BT receiver with a clip (could also work with hard-wired like the Sennheiser PMX sport earbuds). There are also some aftermarket accessories available to help with fit like hooks/wings or those silicone boots that fit over the speaker like the plantronics have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back