Fit it and forget it headphones
Oct 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

downsize

Member of the Trade
Well ... sort of anyway. I suffer from the very same thing most of us whom love audio do, and that is the ever present dividing line between listening to the soundstage, imaging, FR, decay, etc .... and just listening and enjoying the music. It can be so aggravating when you want to listen to some of your favorite tracks, but can't seem to just sit and enjoy, because of listening to and paying attention to the way the phones/equipment is performing. The technical aspects which make up the musical experience.

One of the most enjoyable music listening experiences for myself, is an extremely well tuned and perfected car stereo, with amazing installation and amazing equipment. The amount of sheer dynamics and air being moved are a visceral experience that always makes me want to bang my head or really get into the music .... and I just forget about the equipment around me.

So this thread is about full sized headphones which make you just completely get lost in the music. Not necessarily in that euphonic and relaxing way that can make you fall asleep while listening. But the cans which make you absolutely forget your equipment, or the technicalities, and just bang your head and stomp your feet. Headphones that bring the dynamics and impact, but without ever failing to still be just as capable of sounding good on most all kinds of music.

For me in my limited experience with cans, the Beyers seem to do that best. T1s, DT-880, and DT-990 fit the bill  which most closely resembles what I am referring to above. How about you ?

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 8
With my limited experiences, DT-880 and Shure 1840 fit me quite well, which made me forgot their existence now & then. Senn HD600 & 650's clamping force is a bit too much for me. Grados are darn uncomfortable mostly due to their itchy pads.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 8
  With my limited experiences, DT-880 and Shure 1840 fit me quite well, which made me forgot their existence now & then. Senn HD600 & 650's clamping force is a bit too much for me. Grados are darn uncomfortable mostly due to their itchy pads.

Oops ... I should have clarified. I am not talking about comfort. But the ability to just get lost in the music.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 8
For me, comfortableness contributes half the feat to "get lost in the music". I'm not so sure if there any crappy SQ cans which are super comfortable coz I would never consider such a thing, unless seeking for ear muffles. However if a superb sounding phone designed to torture, I'll never "get lost in music".

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 8
  For me, comfortableness contributes half the feat to "get lost in the music". I'm not so sure if there any crappy SQ cans which are super comfortable coz I would never consider such a thing, unless seeking for ear muffles. However if a superb sounding phone designed to torture, I'll never "get lost in music".

Good point Wombat ... But the only cans I have found unbearably uncomfortable, are the Grados luckily. I know of MANY super comfortable cans, but they do not necessarily allow me to get lost in the music. Many of them either sound to flawed to even consider enjoying, or they are so "perfectly neutral" that they don't allow me to enjoy the music. Instead they make me listen to placement., timbre, soundstage, etc ......  If they are flat and neutral, yet unexciting,, they just lose me. I enjoy the way K-701s show you sooo much info in the music, yet they bore me to death.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Well ... sort of anyway. I suffer from the very same thing most of us whom love audio do, and that is the ever present dividing line between listening to the soundstage, imaging, FR, decay, etc .... and just listening and enjoying the music. It can be so aggravating when you want to listen to some of your favorite tracks, but can't seem to just sit and enjoy, because of listening to and paying attention to the way the phones/equipment is performing. The technical aspects which make up the musical experience.

One of the most enjoyable music listening experiences for myself, is an extremely well tuned and perfected car stereo, with amazing installation and amazing equipment. The amount of sheer dynamics and air being moved are a visceral experience that always makes me want to bang my head or really get into the music .... and I just forget about the equipment around me.

So this thread is about full sized headphones which make you just completely get lost in the music. Not necessarily in that euphonic and relaxing way that can make you fall asleep while listening. But the cans which make you absolutely forget your equipment, or the technicalities, and just bang your head and stomp your feet. Headphones that bring the dynamics and impact, but without ever failing to still be just as capable of sounding good on most all kinds of music.

For me in my limited experience with cans, the Beyers seem to do that best. T1s, DT-880, and DT-990 fit the bill  which most closely resembles what I am referring to above. How about you ?

Beyer train? :grin: board me in!
I definitely get immersed every listen.

Wonder how it goes with owners of other phones?

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Fostex TH900, Senn HD650 and W1000x. I get lost in my music for hours the most of any of the cans I've owned/heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back